Applecare bought by Macbook's 2nd owner

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fartheststar, Apr 8, 2009.

1. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Hi,

My girlfriend bought a Macbook a few months ago from a friend. I bought and registered Applecare for her today under her Apple ID on the machine after she found out that the computer is one tomorrow.

The Applecare agreement states - "This certificate confirms AppleCare Protection Plan coverage for your Apple product(s). Keep this certificate and the original sales receipts for your Apple product(s) and the AppleCare Protection Plan. Proof of purchase may be required if there is any question as to the product's eligibility for AppleCare Protection Plan
    coverage."

My question: Does she need to get the first owner's original Sales receipt? She paid her friend cash - he gave her a homemade receipt (this I just found out all today).

Thanks

Rick

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you purchased AppleCare before the one-year date and try to enroll it after it, proof of purchase will be required and it has to be the original receipt or a photocopy. If you're enrolling it before the one-year, than no proof of purchase will be required.

3. fartheststar thread starter macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Awesome, thanks. I enrolled before the one year for her (just).

4. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

No you don't need the first receipt as long as according to Apple
    s records the macbook was within the allowed time frame to activate Applecare. The only way you need an original receipt is if there is a dispute as to when the computer was first registered (example warranty information and date based on computers serial number, differs from when it was actually bought) in that case you would fax or email a copy of the original receipt to Apple for them to adjust the date.