applecare bound to original purchaser?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by robindahlia789, Apr 13, 2009.

1. robindahlia789 macrumors regular

Im going too be buying my parents a mac mini 1.8ghz from ebay for a suprise since our sony vaio is a time bomb now. Now some of the deals on there have apple care included. Is the apple care only for the original purchaser too use. Or would a transer need too be made for me too use it if needed. Or would I just need specific papers from the seller. Thanks all

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Applecare goes with the machine. No 'transfer' is necessary. Apple checks the coverage status by the machine's serial number.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/acpssgeos.html

This details that you can transfer it to another individual.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I would definitely ask for the receipts for the machine's purchase if buying used (unless it was purchased directly from Apple) but as for Apple's fine print they also say in there that Applecare is bound to the country of issue if I'm not mistaken. Yet, I purchased my Applecare coverage for my Japan Apple Online Store-bought iMac from L.A. Computer in the US and have sent it in for service a few times without any problems.

I very much doubt that Apple is going to ask you to produce paperwork when you want to send in a Mac under active Applecare. They verify the coverage by the serial number of the machine.

5. James Cole macrumors 6502

Doesnt the apple car has to be under the name of the owner?

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, the coverage can be transferred by the seller to the buyer with an e-mail (or snail mail) as explained by chrmjenkins in his post above. This is a one-time procedure and then the new owner should have no problems. Like I said I would definitely want the original receipt of purchase from the seller if it wasn't purchased directly from Apple though. This is important to settle disputes with the exact length of coverage since it is from the official purchase date and Apple sometimes gets it wrong.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...just follow the guidelines to transfer as listed in the link...

8. dantherevelator macrumors regular