Applecare? Buy it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by woczlf, Sep 7, 2014.

1. woczlf macrumors newbie

I´m going to buy base rMBP tomorrow and I wanted to buy apple care with it too. But now I hesitate, because 200£ is a lot of money and I really do´t know if it´s good investment. What do you think guys?

2. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

3. Mike P macrumors newbie

Do you know anyone who is a student? Here in the UK, a 3 year warranty is standard with all online student discounted purchases.

4. HipsterGG macrumors member

HipsterGG

Hell yea it's worth it. When I bought my MacBook Pro in 2010 I also took AppleCare. The logic board of the Mac needed to be replaced after 14 months of purchase. The regular repair without AppleCare would cost me over ± €550,- but I got a new logic board completely free.

Although it is expensive up front, if there will be something wrong with your MacBook it will be repaired without any extra costs.

I'd say take it!

5. woczlf thread starter macrumors newbie

I´m university student in UK.

6. dneill2006 macrumors newbie

Buy it through here to get a 15% discount and free AppleCare :)

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/back_to_school

If buying in store just take your student ID, you'll still get the discount but they'll want £48 for the AppleCare.

And if you do it before the 9th September you'll get a free £60 Apple Store Gift Card.

7. LuvKaya macrumors member

can you show me where that is verified? I would like to read that for myself.

Thanks!

8. Mike P macrumors newbie

9. eezacque Guest

I believe the UK laws already protect you here (sale of goods act?), but it might be hard to successfully claim your rights, especially with a company like Apple.

10. pragmatous macrumors 65816

For computers and iphones yes. iPads I'm thinking no. iPads are pretty solid.:apple:

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Oh please woczlf, you got to buy AppleCare!! It is worth it. Apple took care of my 2012 rMBP display with peeled coating and they also replaced keyboard because they DINGED it. :apple:

12. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I bought it this time for my new 2014 15" rMBP. One of the main reasons is because I intend to keep it for at least three years, hopefully longer. AppleCare provides peace of mind for at least three years.

13. woczlf thread starter macrumors newbie

So in the end, I went to the store and it turned out applecare was much cheaper than I expected and I got even 15% discount, thought usuall student discount is 6%. So I`m pretty sattisfied.

Thanks for your input!

14. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Darn. I was actually looking forward to GGJStudios' copy and paste post. :D

15. mojito macrumors member

For anything you're shelling out significant money for, just spend the little extra for AppleCare. I always recommend it. I know it seems like "ugh, paying more? this is already so expensive!" But it's better to have the option of replacing hardware/problems/getting a new machine for the next 3 years than having to pay the expensive repair fees if something breaks. Which something always does....

16. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

it's only $174 on Amazon
    no-brainer for just $174