AppleCare - Changing Owners

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GaresTaylan, Jun 9, 2015.

1. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. As long as I have owned Apple products one of the nicest things about them is AppleCare simply following the product, not the end user. Any time Ive sold a device or had it replaced I have never had to do anything at all regarding Apple Care.

I recently sold my old Macbook Pro online several months ago. The buyer stated they went to an Apple Store for an issue with the display yesterday and Apple wouldn't help them because Apple Care needed to be transferred to their name. So yesterday I called Apple and the rep I spoke to confirmed everything I said, the warranty follows the product not the user.

Has something changed that I have missed? I started looking this up online and found this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202712

"If you need to transfer AppleCare product coverage to another person, we'll need the following information:

• New owner's name and mailing address
    • Agreement purchase site--Apple or reseller
    • Agreement number"
    When did this happen and why did it happen? Anyone else have experience with this?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

AFAIK it is tied to the serial number, not the owner.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If the computer itself is still within warranty in relevance to its purchase date then it should still be able to be serviced properly.

I had Apple Care with a product in the past and don't remember ever providing personal information, it was just in conjunction with the specifics of that product (mainly the serial).

It's kind of odd that they were denied service, but I guess protocol is protocol.

4. GaresTaylan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I recommended they call Apple. I purchased it so long ago I don't even have the purchase information anymore. Im sure apple can look it up for me if i go to a store, should it come to that.