AppleCare Conundrum

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jshelton, May 14, 2010.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

There are at least 1,000 threads on this topic, and I read the majority. Still, here is 1,001.

I just purchased AppleCare for my mid-2009 MBP off of eBay. I was sent the code less the box and proof of purchase. The code activated fine and everything worked perfectly.

Has anyone had any problems getting warranty repair service using AppleCare without the box and receipt. Do they ask for this before the repairs are made?

I have the AppleCare agreement form that Apple sent when I activated. It lists my serial number, hardware info, and the warranty expiration date. Shouldn't that be sufficient when/if a repair is necessary?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You don't need anything besides your if you take it in. The Genius will read and enter the serial number directly from the computer to see if it's under warranty or not.

3. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ver' nice!

4. Tino04 macrumors member

Haven't there been issues with this type of thing in the past though, where the same applecare agreement has been activated more than once and someone is refused service?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, which is why it's a good idea to have the box. What does "Proof of Purchase" mean? The bar code with the code from the original box? That should suffice to prove that it's "yours."

6. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but I don't have the box. That is the problem. When I purchased the AppleCare, the seller emailed the activation code. It worked and I am covered, but I don't have the box.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

But you have the bar code cut out of the box? That's basically the same as having the whole box, as that's the part that matters...

8. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

You do not need anything but the device. It is tied to the serial number you activated online through AppleCare.

Not that hard. Buy it, get the code, register online with AppleCare, covered.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

10. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is showing as registered. I just don't want them to ask for the AppleCare box or receipt when a repair is needed because I don't have either.

11. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I don't have the bar code.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You should be fine, then. If there's something totally wrong when you get to the store you'll be out of luck, which comes with the territory of buying on eBay. You probably knew this before you bought it there.

13. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did realize there was a risk. I just saved a TON of money though, so I had to try it.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The only risk is that the code is generated (the algorithm for doing this is known). In that case if Apple find out that your AppleCare is a generated code, not a genuine one they have issued (for example if they issue this code in future and someone with a real box can't use it as you already have) then they will cancel your coverage. You will then have to take this up with the person you bought it from on eBay, not Apple.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it shows as registered on the site, it will show as registered at the Genius Bar, so they will not ask for the box or receipt.
    There IS no risk, since the Apple site already recognizes the AppleCare.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If Apple sell a boxed AppleCare in store with the same code then they will, most likely, update their records and it will suddenly show as no AppleCare for the OP.

17. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a 10 or 11 digit code. What are the chances of that same code coming up again? No really, what are the chances? Like...1/1,000,000,000,000?

When it happens because I just jinxed myself, I'll let you all know.

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Things to take into account

1) I would expect at least one of the digits is a check digit. So you are down to 10 (at best)

2) The digits that count all have meaning: there is different AppleCare for different types of product. So this is encoded into the code somehow. I would guess that this wipes out at least one more digit so you are down to 9 (at best).

3) AppleCare is region specific (somewhat: the terms and conditions are different in different regions). So you are now down to 8 digits (at best).

So, assuming all the other digits are just a straight counter (I very much doubt this) then you now have 1 in 100,000,000. Apple are selling approx 4 million Macs every quarter. Of those we could guess at least 1 million are MBPs. I don't know how many have AppleCare but if we say 1 in 10 buy Apple Care then that's 100,000 every quarter.

Or 1 in 1000 chance every quarter that if your AppleCare is a generated code instead of a genuine one you get a collision.

19. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dang. Do you mind breaking it down for me? :eek:

I'll take the chance I suppose.

20. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

If he was never sent the BOX, why would he have the barcode that is cut FROM the BOX?

21. apple.gr macrumors regular

OP you must ask him either to sent you the whole box or at least to prove you that he has cut and destroyed the barcode. It is common on eBay purchases that the seller after one year or so (who has both the box and the receipt) demands a refund for the remaining time. In that case your MBP has exceeded the one year of warranty and your Applecare is canceled.

I hope I have helped you.

Ps.: Sorry for my English, I am from Greece