Applecare cost/ educational discount US vs UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hackfix21, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Hackfix21 macrumors member

Hi,

I'm in the UK but might buy a Macbook Air while on holiday in the US this summer due to the lower price.

I can get the educational discount (though appreciate I'm taking my chances whether the US store will accept the UK education ID, but from reading other posts it seems they're relaxed about that).

So in order to compare US and UK prices I'd also need to know how the eductional discounts compare. As far as I've seen so far, the discount is much less attractive in the US which would eat into the US price advantage.

1) Is it correct that the US educational discount is only in the neighbourhood of around $50? (In the UK it's around 14% (or around £170 for the MBA I'm looking at)

2) Is it correct that Applecare in the US even with educational discount is still around $200 (I saw $183 for the MBA)? (In the UK it's £47 for the MBA with educational discount)

3) If 2) is correct, would it be possible to buy the MBA in the US without Applecare and then upon return to the UK would the UK store still sell me Applecare at £47 or would they want to see a UK receipt for the computer?

Many thanks for your help!

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yes the strict rule is only US students get US discount. In practice people from abroad can get it, just be nice!

Yes the US discount is quite modest compared to the UK.

Yes AppleCare in the US for students is ~$183.

No you cannot get the £47 UK AppleCare after you have purchased. That price is only available at the same time a UK student buys a Mac. If you buy later I believe (from memory) it is about £160.

However, if you are are UK uni student you should be able to get a 3 year warranty for free if you buy online through the UK education store. No need to purchase AppleCare at all. That is NOT the case if you buy in store. See here. If you tell me or PM me (once you have 5 posts) your uni I can check to see if you can get the free 3 year warranty (99% of UK HE students can).

3. Hackfix21 thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks for your answers and for the link to your excellent article about this.

My institution is Goldsmith college (part of University of London).

One more question: if and when the BTS promotion starts, is this usually available as well on the college website or only in store?

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Goldsmiths does qualify for the UK HE discount. For reference the base 11" MBA is £745, the base 13" MBA £965. You will be able to get into the education store only from your uni network or over a VPN.

To be crystal clear again, you get a 3 year warranty for free only if you buy online or over the phone not in store, read the link I posted above for more details.

Apple's BTS deal has always been online previously. 99.9% sure you will be fine!

5. Hackfix21 thread starter macrumors member

thanks again!

That pretty much reduces any US cost advantage to a few pounds, so I might as well just buy here. Good to know.

Of course like everyone else on the MBA forum now I'll just have to wait and see what happens with BTS, and the expected MBA refresh...