AppleCare Cover Cosmetic Issues / Design Defects?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dissdnt, Jul 17, 2008.

1. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I'm asking because i've noticed a bunch of people, including myself, have the part above the macbook pro latch popping out. This is at no fault to me. I never cracked open the case or anything.

If i try to fix it myself it just pops back out after a day or two.

I asked a guy at the Apple store about it and he just kinda shrugged it off.

Wondering if anyone had this defect and actually got it fixed?

Here's a pic

[​IMG]

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No AppleCare doesn't not cover cosmetic, but they do cover product defects; that's just because the metal is thin there; just push it back in; it's normally glued to the inside, but with the heat and all it can get loose.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

Actually that would be covered as it is a hardware defect. Many of the previous generation of Mbps have that weakness. The current crop don't seem to have the issue so I suspect they have fixed it.of course this is covered though...

4. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

K cool guys i'll bring it by and see what they can do for me.

Thanks again

5. lag1090 macrumors 6502

The funny thing is, the last MBP I had experienced the same issue. Apple referred to it as "case warping" on the list of things that was wrong with it.

Unfortunately, they claimed that it was not a common issue and attempted to deem it as being physically damaged due to mishandling.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Which prompted me to complain and get a replacement.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Me personally, I wouldn't of thought that to be a design defect. If anything, I would suspect that some users are placing way too much downward force or pressure on the area where the palm-rest/trackpad is located. Causing the lower case to buckle (perhaps if there was a rubber foot there) thus the thin metal strip above the latch opener to warp and pop out.

:confused:

Then again, this is only my theory.

I guess the best thing you should do, is contact Apple and
    see what they have to say for themselves...
    Hopefully they'll be speechless!!

8. PDE macrumors 68020

I actually had a few that were like that right out of the box and I had them replaced immediately. And even if it wasn't there to begin with, this should never have developed with normal laptop usage. Your computer looks very well taken care of so this is apple's problem.

9. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I've had it since last July and it's flawless. I keep really good care of it. I clean it all the time and stare at it.. and take it out to dinner... well not really but you get the point hehe..

10. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I know i posted this awhile back but i actually went to the Apple Store and all i can say is RUDE.

Harsh words eh? :)

The guy at the "genius bar" had such an attitude problem i was like wtf.

I show him my problem, he just looks at it.. and goes .. well probably 300 bucks. And im like well isn't this a design issue, i've talked to a bunch of macbook pro owners and they've had the issue, some of them got it fixed at the apple store.

And he's like. we dont officially recognize this as a defect sorry. Then goes back to typing on his mac.

So im standing there and im like, well is there anything that can be done, i have apple care too. And he's like no sorry.

And im like well you can tell i keep good care of it, it's a year old there's not one scratch on this thing. And he goes "well im not with 24 hours a day i dont know how you handle your mac"

Like wat is that? Is that even a necessary comment. Then he goes, "i've had my power book for 4 years and i dont have any issue."

Because somehow his experience has more merit then mine and the THOUSANDS of other mac owners.

I just put it away and left.

I had just seen Batman and i seriously wanted to put a smile on his face.

Honestly that experience today has put an 8 to about a 3 on the apple fan boy meter.

11. PDE macrumors 68020

Some geniuses are pompous asses. When that happens, ask to speak with a manager and explain the situation to them. They're usually very helpful and can authorize repairs easily.No laptop should start buckling like that after normal usage! Also, it's a very common issue and no longer occurs on the current ones, which indicates that apple was aware of the issue and fixed it.

My advice is to try again with a manager. I'm sure you'll have better luck.

12. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Worth a shot, thanks.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Skip the manager, write an email to sjobs[at]apple.com and tell Mr. Jobs how you were mistreated and that you would like it fixed; be sure to be nice and professional. The manager will call you ;)

14. dissdnt thread starter macrumors 65816

dissdnt

:p:p:p:p

15. weatherman316 macrumors member

That was such a great movie...you should have asked him "why so serious"? ;)