Applecare Cover Dust Removal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ColinM, May 30, 2010.

1. ColinM macrumors member

Hey there,

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro 13' 2.53 GHz, and it's been getting hotter a lot more quickly, and a lot more often then since I got it. I opened it up and saw a lot of dust in there. I didn't have any compressed air in the house at the time, but i'm also concerned about messing something up.

There's an Authorized Applecare center downtown, do you think they'd remove dust and would it be covered by Applecare?

Thanks,

Colin

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

if theres no real damaged caused to your mbp from the dust, then i doubt it. but its a good question. how exactly did u see there was a lot of dust inside? are you speaking of the air vent?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They might remove the dust, but that won't be covered under Applecare.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Just hoover it up.

Dust clogging up the fans will mean the fans will have to spin higher to create more airflow so more noise, plus hotter temperatures.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I've heard of warranties being voided before for stupid reasons, so frankly I think you're better off handling this on your own.

6. ColinM thread starter macrumors member

How did I see there was dust? Opened up the bottom (which is in no way voiding my current Applecare) and saw... dust, and cat whiskers (no... idea...)

I might still give them an e-mail and see.

Thanks guys!

7. kolax macrumors G3

Email what? Just vacuum it..

It won't be covered by the warranty.. amount of dust, and cat hairs, depends upon the environment it is used in. Just clean it!

8. lordofuo macrumors regular

"Canned Air," FTW. :D

Apple shouldn't have to mess with it, as its already an extremely easy job to do yourself!

Alex :apple:

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

canned air for sure. It's safe.

DO NOT USE A HOUSEHOLD VACCUM THEY ARE NOT STATIC SAFE.

10. kolax macrumors G3

It's fine as long as you aren't stupid and physically press the nozel onto the logic board..

A vacuum gets the dust from like 8 inches away.

11. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

What about using a vacuum that blows air out? Will that be fine for use on a Macbook Por? Should I just make sure I keep it 8 inches away?

12. kolax macrumors G3

Well you'd end up just blowing the dust around rather than actually collecting it. Whatever works best, I've never owned a vacuum that blows, but could do a similar job. Just be careful with the strength of the blow.

A vacuum sucker will pull the dust out rather than just blowing it around the place.

13. Mark.W macrumors member

I wonder if apple care covers fingerprints and smudges. Should I bring my computer to an apple store to have them wipe down the screen? :D

14. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

nope but pro care does! $99 a year for them to wipe off the screen and keyboard :rolleyes:

http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/