AppleCare - Cover Keyboard, Fan Damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by limejuice, Nov 6, 2008.

1. limejuice macrumors newbie

I accidentally spilt water on my laptop. I am too nervous, I don't know what to do. Laptop screen suddenly goes colorful, so I shut it down quickly. I used my old mac to search what should I do. Some people suggested to use hair dryer. Which, I did too.

I am too careless, and I use my hair dryer to blow too close to the keyboard. And, I melted my keyboard. And there is 2,3 keys melted, so I take it off. Few days later, I turn on my MBP, I am glad still working. Because I have deadline to meet. Many works to do, so I did not send to replace a new keyboard, since they keyboard still working fine, just that few keys ain't working.

Few months later, I found my laptop fan blocked. There is only 1 fan is working. As you know MBP tend to run much hotter compared to others laptop. I am still working on a project, it might take 1 more month, so that I can send my MBP for a repair and replace a new keyboard.

I wonder, if the applecare covered keyboard damaged, and the fan too? I admit that it was my fault that the keyboard melted. But, I wonder if applecare would still cover the repair for the fan? or not covering none of them?

Thank you for guiding me.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Once you spill liquid on the device basically you are on your own. If you then melt parts of the machine you are really on your own. Applecare covers manufacturing defects: not defects caused by you.

3. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

4. limejuice thread starter macrumors newbie

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

might be worth it to just get a new one and sell the old one for parts. Go to apple and ask for a quote...

6. RJones macrumors newbie

Buy a new keyboard and fan from ifixit.com. The keyboards are $119 and the fans usually $40-50.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ebay for the keyboard, they are about half the price, just match up the model number from ifix it