AppleCare Coverage Cost

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WeemanWise, Feb 25, 2015.

1. WeemanWise macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

Any guesses for how much AppleCare coverage for the Apple Watch might cost?

I'm thinking maybe $50-80 for the sport model, $100-150 for the stainless steel, and several hundred for the Edition.

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Again, this could be another of the "plus points" to justify the supposed cost of the gold model.
    Things such as this could be bundled in as part of the price to show all the extra's you get as standard on their expensive models.

If you pay for the best, then you often should expect things like this to be included and not buy the best AND slap on even more for extra's

3. rosario1990 macrumors regular

It' depends on the quality which apple watch you'll take.

4. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

My guess is it'll be $100 for all watches. Like the iPhone you pay $100 (here in Canada) regardless what model and amount of GB's you have. Thats my prediction.

5. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

I don't know why, but I totally didn't think about AppleCare as an option.

$50, for a start?

6. WeemanWise thread starter macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

Except with the iPhone the actually retail cost of each phone model is a range of like $650-950

The Apple Watch's price range starts at $349 for the sport. So I believe it would have to be collection specific because of the likely widespread retail pricing.

The iPod's AppleCare price is listed as $59 so I would guess the sport model AppleCare price would be somewhere around $59-$79

Depending on how much the regular Apple Watch collection runs for I could see that as $99-$149

7. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

That would be very smart. Any purchase of the Edition comes with 3 years of Applecare included.

8. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

bah! I think Apple care is a rip off.

I did't get it for my $2200 retina 15" when I got it. 2 years later needed some major repair and it cost $300.

So... I had to do the repair and paid less or the same as Apple Care. If I had no issues, then I'd come out ahead. Devices I "risked" and came out ahead on:

iphone 3GS
    iphone 4
    iphone 5
    iphone 6
    ipad mini
    ipad orignal (gen 1)
    MAcbook pro 13"

9. WeemanWise thread starter macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

What did you have to have repaired on your rMBP?

I'm still on the fence on getting AppleCare for when I eventually upgrade to a rMBP (holding out for ones with skylake) but after the cost of having to replace one iPad mini with a broken screen without AppleCare I am not buying another iPad or iPhone without it again. I see it as good insurance for a device that I carry around and if I damaged it would otherwise cost me almost double what I would pay with AppleCare.

10. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I've seen some of the costs that I would have had to pay had I not had Applecare and I cringe.

11. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I had this annoying crackling noise coming from the right speaker, couldn't make it go away no matter what. Sounded like a radiation detector. This happened about 2.5 years after I got my MBPr (July 2012). Also had been getting occasional fatal crashes and an error talking about the GPU.

Brought it to the genius bar, sent it for bulk repair (not in house), they noted a burn in spot on my screen where the tray icons are located as well. Came back... they replaced and put a new screen on, new speakers and a new GPU. I had the macbook 5 days and heard the crackle again... straight back to the store. Sent it out for free service and they replaced the cooling fans assembly. That fixed it.

so, I got:
    -15" retina screen replaced
    -new nVidia GPU
    -new speakers
    -new cooling fans

for $350.

12. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I think AppleCare is one of the best values out there particularly after all my issues.

I paid $250 (edu discount) for the warranty on my 2011 MBP 15" and have gotten a refund for that AppleCare every time that machine was replaced with a newer model. The $250 I paid covered, over 3 machines ('11 15", '12 Retina, '13 Retina):

11 logic boards (estimate w/o AC: $5,500)
    4 displays (estimate w/o AC: $2,700)
    2 top cases (estimate w/o AC: $1,000)
    2 SSDs (estimate w/o AC: $800)
    2 batteries (estimate w/o AC: $300)
    3 (yes three) total machine replacements (estimate w/o AC: $7,300)

So, yes, I'd say AppleCare is worth it. What I listed above is also the reason I stopped buying MBPs with dGPUs and bought a nMP.

13. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Hopefully it'll be AppleCare+, not just standard AppleCare.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

I'm sure it will be as all iOS devices now have AppleCare Plus as an option. This is also for all intense and purposes an iOS device.

15. WeemanWise thread starter macrumors 6502

WeemanWise

Can't find anything about the pricing of it yet.

16. bushido Suspended

bushido

cant believe those prices and yet it only comes with 1 year of warranty. i got a 99 bucks watch and it has life long warranty

17. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Which one?

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would also be sure that it will have some new restrictions as this is their first wearable device.

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It doesn't.

Sport and Watch come with 1 year of AppleCare. Can buy AppleCare+ for 2 years and accidental damage.

Edition comes with 2 years of AppleCare. Can buy AppleCare + for 3 years and accidental damage.

We don't know the cost.

Other luxury items like Benz's Ferrari, etc don't come fully loaded, lots of extra cost addons.

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, but the Apple watch is not a luxury item.
    It's a cheap item in an expensive shell.

Taking a $65 Apple TV and placing it inside an $5000 Apple Gold case, instead of it's black plastic case does not make it into a luxury item.

It just makes it a normal cheap item, in a very expensive box.

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Won't argue that!

22. Caseynd macrumors regular

Caseynd

I sure hope they offer a longer period option at some point, nobody should have to swap watches 2 years just to keep damage protection, just offer a longer length with higher price!

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I will have to disagree. The price is so high b.c it is 18k gold and a watch/fashion piece. You think the internals of a rolex are $10k? It is based on the fashion statement.