AppleCare customer service recommends shutdown over sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmv89, Aug 17, 2014.

1. vmv89 macrumors member

vmv89

When I purchased MBP 13" Retina two weeks ago, I started browsing through the forum and searching on google on how to keep battery healthy.

Most people said that at night they put their MBP to sleep instead of shutdown; they do shut down only once or twice per week so updates can be installed properly.

An Apple technician told me that he recommends shutting down instead of sleep. Sleep is created for when the computer will not be used for 2-3 hours and shutdown was created was 3 or more hours.

I also told him that most of the time I use my MBP at home constantly plugged in. I asked if I should unplug it and use battery power at least twice a week to keep the electrons moving. He told me it is not necessary because MBP is using smart charging.

:confused:So now I am confused on what is the right way.
    Most people tell me sleep is better than shut down, and to uncharge MBP once every two weeks down to 30%.
    And here Apple technician, who I suspect should be well trained, tells me the opposite.

2. simsaladimbamba

Can this guide, using official Apple documents, help?

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

PS: I never shut down my MBP, even when it goes to sleep for longer than a day.

3. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

Great information! Thank you so much!

4. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Just FYI Apple no longer recommends deliberately adding cycles to the battery for any reason (was always a terrible suggestion resulting in people thinking that leaving the device plugged in would reduce lifespan).

https://www.apple.com/batteries/

The info there has changed a lot recently. No more reference to "keeping the electrons moving" or any of that nonsense. The most important line is:

"With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle."

5. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

Thanks!:)