AppleCare: Did you get it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CAWjr, Mar 25, 2011.

?

Did you get AppleCare for your iPad?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    65.5%
  3. I am still on the fence if I want to get it or not

19 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I have a slew of Apple products & I have never bought AppleCare, but I am actually considering it for the iPad since it is such a mobile device & there is a higher risk of something happening to it. Between kids, always having to carry it (phones go in pockets & laptops are a bit more durable), and general clumsiness, I can see this device accidentally being damaged.

So is AppleCare worth it for the iPad, or is the basic 1 year warranty all you really need? ...along with a dose of carefulness!

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not for me. The iPad comes with a one year warranty from Apple anyway--and they are generally updated once a year. I tend to sell the old one before the new one comes out.

By the way, from your post it sounds like you expect Applecare to cover the iPad in case of accidental damage. You should know that Applecare does not cover those incidents.

3. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Like I said, I have never had AppleCare, but I thought it was almost like a "no questions asked" insurance policy on your devices. Meaning, you walk in & have a problem, whether it's a broken screen or a dead pixel, & they replace it on the spot.

If that's not the case, then my desire for AppleCare just dropped a bit.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on the fence, for the phone and iPad, I'm not seeing the logic, especially if I turn the phone or iPad over in a year.

5. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I generally turn over products yearly. So there's no point. And I DO have an aversion to refurbs. I want new products and am willing to pay for them.

6. iFoure macrumors member

Yes, I did :) Mainly 'cos I know that I'm gonna keep my iPad more than a year and I don't wanna have to proof my purchases to Apple when activating ACPP if I would buy it later as I had to with my mbp 13" and believe me it was annoying :mad: €79 is not much for a extra 12 months of insurance for a device I pay €799 for ;)

7. poloponies Suspended

Manufacturing defects only; physical damage usual voids AppleCare. SquareTrade or other 3rd party policies cover physical damage.

8. CAWjr thread starter macrumors 6502

CAWjr

Thanks for the tip. I may go that route then.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'd try SquareTrade or maybe even Best Buy. I've heard of them selling warranties on iPods that they didn't sell, so maybe they'll do it for an iPad too.

10. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Applecare isn't an accident insurance policy.

I don't have it for my iPad. I figured that any problems with the device would be apparent in the first few weeks, and after that it would be fairly free from problems since it's 100% solid state (no moving parts). After a year it's still working fine.

11. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

No, I never buy it.

This usually shuts up sales when I tell them, I didn't buy an Extended Warranty for my $40k Coupe so why would I buy one for this.

12. brettatk macrumors regular

No to Applecare, yes to Squaretrade. At least then I get ADH coverage as well. I thought $72 for two years is a pretty good deal. Plus I can get a prorated amount back if I sell my iPad2 or I can transfer it to the new owner.

13. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Nope, I never get extended warranties on gadgets.

My thought is that I'd spend more buying warranties for gadgets that I mostly never use than I would just replacing the few things that break outside of the 1 year manufacturer's warranty (most defects will show themselves by then).

Plus, if one was going to get a warranty for the iPad it's much better to get one that covers accidental damage.

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Nope...square trade on sale with accidental damage was <$20 additional..so nope!

15. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I would do Square Trade over Apple if I were inclined to buy a warranty. If you are accident prone with your electronics I would definitely buy the Square Trade with the Accident Insurance. I looked on there and a Two year was about $99.

16. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Apple Care 15 inch MBP

I did just purchase apple care for my 15 inch 2010 MBP. I was coming up on my 1 year warranty on April 10th so I decided to go for it. This computer has been the best computer I have ever had. I don't invasion any problems but I also don't want to have to buy something else in another year.

I did buy it from B&H for $244 instead of Apple for $349. They shipped the box and everything so I know I am good. I would rather do that then purchase on Ebay or Amazon. I called the store first to make sure I would be getting everything in the box and they told me I would receive the same thing I would at an apple store, which I did.

As for getting 1 with my iPad I didn't. It didn't cost as much as my MBP did and I could definitely see myself selling it for the iPad 3 well before my 1 year of warranty would run out.

17. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I did the squaretrade warranty. $72 for 2 years. Covers accidental damage, which probably won't happen, but if it does i'll be ready. Plus it's transferable so when I go to sell my iPad 2 for iPad 3 (the first time i'll ever have done this, still rocking my first gen touch and iPhone 3G) I can throw that in as well.

18. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I probably will get it before the year is up.

But I usually buy AppleCare for all my products on my iMacs and MacBooks.

19. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I don't want to get it but I think it may be best because I'll be heading overseas which takes away the in-store option. I don't really see any way around it.

20. melman101 macrumors 68030

I used Worth Ave. Group this time around for my iPad 2. It covers accidental damage, plus theft. It was around $130 for two years. A little pricey but I love the fact that it covers theft.

Mel

21. CIA macrumors 6502a

I usually buy AC on my macs, (and I usually only buy refurbs, what a steal!) but for the iPhone4 I actually got AC on it. A few months back my lock, and home button started to stick. No sign of water damage on the LiC stickers either. So on Xmas day I took it out of the free Apple case and planned on bringing it down to the Apple Store in a day or so when my appointment came up. Not 3 hours later I dropped it and shattered the back. Took it in anyway. Guy looked at the buttons and was like "No problem, let me swap that", then flipped it over and saw the shattered back. (Bill Lumberg voice) "Ooooooh, yeaaaa, about that.... Uhhhhh, we don't replace iPhone's with obvious physical damage....."
    Me: Umm,, I have Apple Care?
    Him: You do?
    Me: Yea?
    He thinks for a few seconds and says ok, but they normally wouldn't cover it.

So, there ya go. YMMV. Also I don't think he ever actually checked to see if I really did have apple care (I did).
    AC on mac's is the bomb though. I got a free top of the line MacPro when the fan on my graphics card in my old Quad G5 died.

22. big samm macrumors 65816

I think i will this summer im skipping the ipad 2 so i need a warranty on my ipad just in case i have to exchange it or anything... Plus it will give a little more value if i sell it... But by the time the ipad 3 comes out the ipad 1 will be super old i might not even sell it...

Sent from my iPad 3G using Tapatalk

23. Bheleu, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

Bheleu macrumors 6502

Mine is protected from Superman...

Sure one year of Apple warranty is nice, but mine is protected by thieves and even damage by Superman along with an additional year of protection because it was paid for on my AMEX card!!!
    YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WPQPLB_fJA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wait a year and let that spotlighting be replaced with the funds for an iPad 3.
    https://www212.americanexpress.com/...CRD&name=buyersassurance_ccsg_faq&type=intfaq
    "Please keep all items. After we have determined your item is eligible under the Extended Warranty we may ask you to return the item to American Express before we replace the item. If upon receipt a decision is made to reimburse you instead, you will then receive a refund for the item."