Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
^^ Nope, doesn't cover misuse/abuse/ or accidental damage.

That said, CompUSA's laptop warranty covers one LCD repair (regardless of how it's damaged) and one new OEM battery replacement. I got that for my old PowerBook.

I got AppleCare for my iMac G5. I thought it'd be pretty essential considering I received it DOA (busted SuperDrive) sooo, I'm a little paranoid of potention mishaps in the future. Plus, maybe I'll end up one of those "lucky customers" who ends up w/ a fantastic new machine later on. :D

Smallville

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2004
You're paranoid!?

My iMac G5 was repaired four times in less than nine months.

Three logic boards were replaced until the geniuses figured out that the power supply was frying them and replaced that.

I shudder at how much it would have cost without the AppleCare. I definitely got my money's worth (although they should have just replaced the whole machine the third time).

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
I can't understand the amount of problems these laptops are having. What the heck are they made in China? Ha Ha. Its scary when someone says "oh yeah I had my motherboard replaced 3 times harddrive 2 times lcd 2 times". I don't think I could handle talking to service that much. Is the service for apple done in America or like Dells(Pakistan,India).

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
ferretboy said:
If I buy a Macbook should I get the warranty? It is way to much money and will I ever need it. I have never bought any warrantys before and I have never had any problems(with anything). everyone tells me with laptops you need the applecare. why? Are laptops not made very well. My desktops are fine without it.

I've learned the hard way with Windows PC laptops that not buying an extended warranty for a portable is a good way to spend a lot more money down the road. Get the AppleCare for sure.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Laptops have many more problems than desktops. They are much more complex, much more fragile, and are subjected to more abuse. I wouldn't buy an extended warranty for an iMac or Mini but definitely would for an MB or MBP.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
London
Probably best to, but wait. You have a 1yr warranty on it as standard, you can purchase Applecare at any time during the first year.

iPie

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
Milan, Italy
Mac Mini advice?

If you look at the problems posted in this Forum, most relate to laptops. I would think that Applecare is well worth it, especially for Rev A laptops.

I am not sure about desktops though. I am getting a Mac Mini until things 'cool' down with the intel laptops and then I'll get a Macbook with Applecare.

I am still unsure whether I should get Applecare for the mini. If I can get the US student price ($100) I would spring for it, otherwise, it's almost 240$ in Italy which is around 25% of its cost! Basically 120$ per year for the extra two years.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iPie said:
If you look at the problems posted in this Forum, most relate to laptops. I would think that Applecare is well worth it, especially for Rev A laptops.

I am not sure about desktops though. I am getting a Mac Mini until things 'cool' down with the intel laptops and then I'll get a Macbook with Applecare.

For the mini, depending on how extensively you use it, I'd consider not getting it - I'm not planning to for mine. However, you do have a full year to decide, so towards the end of that year take it in for repairs if anything is wrong with it, and then try, based on posts here or elsewhere, to decide if it's worth the gamble to not get it.

I always get A/C on laptops, but by record with non-laptops is mixed.

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
YES!!!! But you don't have to get it right away. You can get it anytime withing the first year of purchase. Before that year is up, some Apple rep. will call you and ask if you would like to get additional coverage. This is what I did.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Forking out for AppleCare is pretty damn expensive.

However, I think its probably a good idea for laptops.

I've had my pbook for just over a year now. The original warranty has expired - and unfortunately i don't have AppleCare - not cause I don't want it, but becuase you can't purchase AppleCare in SA :mad:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Smallville said:
You're paranoid!?

My iMac G5 was repaired four times in less than nine months.

Three logic boards were replaced until the geniuses figured out that the power supply was frying them and replaced that.

I shudder at how much it would have cost without the AppleCare. I definitely got my money's worth (although they should have just replaced the whole machine the third time).

Nothing, if it was still under warranty. Maybe I'm the only lucky one here, but I've never had any problems with any Mac I've bought that wasn't covered by the warranty.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
iPie said:

I am still unsure whether I should get Applecare for the mini. If I can get the US student price ($100) I would spring for it, otherwise, it's almost 240$ in Italy which is around 25% of its cost! Basically 120$ per year for the extra two years.

The Mac mini uses a lot of laptop parts, so I think it would be a good idea.

EricChunky

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
London
i think apple care is pretty stupid for macbooks.

your macbook is only £6xx, and you spend £2xx (1/3 price) on 3 year warrenty?

Being a techie, i'll probably change my laptop every 8-10 months, so definitly no use to me. For others, put it this way, how much does your £6xx macbook worth after its warrenty expires (1year later), say best for £400 on eBay?

That means you can get a working MacBook for £400 on eBay a year later, and can sell your faulty scratches for at least £200. (normally its the motherboard or screen failure that are nonfixable by user, otherwise you can easily get a replacement harddrive/ram/etc for a very low cost, apple nowadays use standard pc components anyway)

See, that only cost you £400-£200 = £200, still less expensive than AppleCare.

and after all you computer does not NECESSARY fail after a year does it ?

Besides, AppleCare will never try to recover your data or do anything other than a quick fix or replacement, Apple is not IBM and they don't care customer data at all. (they distoried my hard drive data while getting a stuck CD out of the drive, and i'm still amazed how can they manage to do that, super-magnatic screw driver probably lol)

so... AppleCare for MacBook = Pointless

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
applecare does not cover accidents.

That being said, I always get it on laptops because my laptops always tend to have serious problems. One of these times I'm going to end up quitting apple because I think I will experience a temporary relief from the headaches.

drabne

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
If you read applecare coverage, it only extends the warranty. It is NOT insurance. From all appearances, safeware is insurance. I pick up a macbook tomorrow and haven't decided which, if either coverage, I will purchase. I'm leading towards applecare, more because of the newness of macbook. The one thing that I really wonder about is the screen protection from compusa.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
My credit card extends my manufactures original warranty for 1 full year from time it expires, so I use that.

If I didn't have that though, I would buy applecare.

Z

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
drabne said:
If you read applecare coverage, it only extends the warranty. It is NOT insurance. From all appearances, safeware is insurance. I pick up a macbook tomorrow and haven't decided which, if either coverage, I will purchase. I'm leading towards applecare, more because of the newness of macbook. The one thing that I really wonder about is the screen protection from compusa.

All extended warranties are insurance policies, whether they are for a car, a toaster or a computer.

TallShaffer

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2006
Dillenger said:
I bought Apple Care for both my PowerBook G4, iMac 20 inch, but not my, and wife's iPod. I'm about to get my 12 year old son an iPod, and I might get the AppleCare for his.

Just something to think about in general here;

Apple does cover all the wearing parts and offers excellent tech support (a.k.a. no talking to "Richard" or "Harold" halfway across the globe; funny story about that if anyone wants to know, just pm me), but they don't cover physical damage. If you're getting your child(ren) an ipod or anything pricey, check our local retail stores (Circuit City), and ask about their accidental damage warranties. They cover the same things applecare does and also cover drops, water damage + cracks, all for right around the same price as applecare. The same actually goes for laptops, that's why I bought my macbook at compusa (I only got 2 year, since I didn't plan on keeping it for over 2 years until I fell in love with it).

CCity covers all damage (no questions asked), but don't carry apple computers, so comp usa was the second best choice :)

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
Applecare can be bought from ebay.com at decent prices if you live in the UK or Europe. You can get APP for a MBP for about £80-100 on there compared to the £220 if you were buying the reduced student APP that you can pass on or the normal standard price at £279. I just bought some APP for the MBP for under a £100 on there the other day that i will get shipped to a friend to send onto me.

Applecare is universal so you don't have to pay the steep prices that you would have to in Europe.

Also when it comes to selling your laptop having Applecare will help your laptop to sell better than a similarly or fairly similar speced laptop that does not have any Applecare.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
Hi,

I ordered my Macbook on Friday and the sales assistant advised me that Applecare would be a good purchase. I asked him how much this would cost and he replied with £199. I advised him that I would consider whether I needed this and purchase it within the year if required (as you can do this). He then stated that he would give me the full 3 year Applecare for a reduced £48! Needless to say I quickly accepted this offer :D

It may be an idea for you to try and get the same discount?

Atif

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
In the uk I believe they automatically give you the 3 years of hardware protection for all educational purchases(some kind of law makes them not because they are being nice). So all you payed for was to extend phone support beyond the 90 days to 3 years. I would be pissed at them for one trying to sell you apple care at full price when you already pretty much had it and then again for selling you what you thought was full apple care for 49 pounds when all you were really buying was the phone support since you already had the hardware support for 3 years. I'd return it myself I never need phone support. Anything thats not hardware can be solved on forums. I could be wrong though and maybe you don't get the 3 years of hardware support automatically.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
So does anyone still doubt that AppleCare is a profit center for Apple? That they take in more in premiums than they pay out in services to policy-holders?

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
I don't think anyone was arguing that applecare wasn't a money maker for apple, they were just debating on wether it was worth it to a consumer to get it or not. Just because apple might make alot of money off of it doesn't mean its not the right idea for someone. Its peace of mind and in many cases worth it.

I still think I'll go with safeware though as it will cover it if I, or more likely my girlfriend, were to drop it or other wise damage it or even if it gets stolen somehow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.