Applecare does something right

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paintballswimgu, Mar 4, 2010.

1. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I just thought i'd share my applecare story. I have a 2.2 ghz SR macbookpro. the headphone jack was acting a little static and i thought that the computer was running warm.
    So i sent it to apple with my installed seagate 500gb 7200rpm drive.
    Apple called me and told me they couldn't fix it with my drive in it because it wasn't under their warranty. But, they would put a free 160gb drive in instead and mail my 500gb back. They also did some additional work.

So the first time i sent it in they replaced:
    Logic Board and graphics processor :)
    Left in/out board
    flex cable
    hard drive
    flex cable (a diff one)
    left fan
    right fan

Once i had the computer for about 4 days, i finally had time to check it out and see if the audio had indeed been fixed. I noticed it wasn't really any better. I also noticed that my superdrive now wouldn't burn dvds or cds. So i called apple again.

This time they replaced:
    left in/out board
    harddrive
    optical superdrive
    logic board

So when i got it back today i realized that 1) the audio still isn't fixed 2) the new harddrive makes clicking noises 3) i only have until june before i run out of applecare and i don't have the money for a new mbp if this one finally dies. So i called the regular applecare line. The first person i talked to was very helpful and agreed that i should be worried about it making it through my last year of college given the logic board failure and hard drive failure. So she put me on hold. When she got back on the line she told me she spoke to apple customer relations and that whenever i send it in (for the audio and hard drive), as long as it is still before my warranty expires apple will send me a brand new mbp!

I have a few questions:
    When applecare replaces a 15" mbp do they let you buy applecare on the new model?
    Will they replaces it with the 2.66 ghz model because mine has the graphics card and not the integrated gpu, or will i just get the 2.53 ghz?
    Do they replace it over the phone, or do i get store credit for my original purchase?

I plan on waiting to send it in till the end of april or early may, in case the newer mbp decides to come out.

thanks

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Its pathetic. Thats not right. They SHOULD HAVE NOT SENT you the laptop back, if they didn't fix the issues. You payed 2K for a Apple branded computer. The waste time, money, and gas by shipping you a computer back not repaired. plus they broke things doing it? Horrible.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes, a new AppleCare is applicable on the replacement computer you're getting. You have two options:

1. Transfer the current AppleCare on your current computer to the replacement (if AppleCare is nearing it's end, there would be no point in transferring it over. In that case, Apple will calculate an estimate and credit you back on how many months of AppleCare you have left).

2. Purchase a new AppleCare agreement plan for you replacement.

As for the replacement. It's really a grey area. Many will argue that you should get a replacement with the discrete GPU. If it's that important to you, speak to CSR and say that you need one with a discrete GPU even if they are replacing your low-end MacBook Pro w/ the newer low-end.

4. hypermog macrumors regular

Nice story, strengthens my resolve to get AppleCare with my next Mac

5. kolax macrumors G3

They replace it with the nearest specs and don't downgrade you.

You have a dedicated GPU in your current Mac, so they won't downgrade you to an integrated one. You'll get the 2.66GHz model.

6. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

That sounds awesome. I was a little worried about since i do a good deal of video editing with my mac. I looked online and noticed the performance of the 9400m wasn't as good as the 8600gt. I appreciate the help.

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Just wondering...is it right to abuse the privileges that they've granted you? i.e. allowing you to get a new MBP in place of your current one...and you wait until they come out with new releases

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Generally speaking apple care has a good track record of doing the right thing.

9. kolax macrumors G3

I'd exercise that if I got a replacement now. I'd just pop into the Apple Store (within 14-days if they get released) and explain the situation, and kindly ask if it'd be possible to exchange it for the new one, and offer to pay a sum towards it.

10. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought about doing that as well. I don't feel bad about waiting to send it in to get a new one right now anyways. The main functionality of the computer currently is fine. The hard drive, just clicks and can't verify the disc or pass permissions in disc utility and the audio isn't fixed yet. But everything else works fine. Even if i intended on sending it in right away i couldn't because i'm taking the MCAT in about a month and really need my computer to study with right now.