Applecare+Ebay from the EU?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dhd, Jun 21, 2008.

1. dhd macrumors member

dhd

Hi All!!!,

The basic Applecare of my MBP expires in 5 weeks. After having the experience of a monitor and logic board replacement I am thinking about getting the extended warranty.

I would have to pay € 439 :eek: for the extended warranty (because I would buy it in The Netherlands) and it seems Ebay would be the cheapest way. From my understanding the Ebay "market" is in the USA, so my question is:

Do you have any ideas about buying from the EU in the US Ebay?. I'm aware about the fact that it is really important to get the activation code, but I would also like to get the Tech Tool dvd (I do have a Paypal account that can be used for Ebay-payments, do you think this is a secure way to pay?).

Thank you all and please excuse my noobness.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You should be able to purchase AppleCare for around $200-250 on eBay.com.

All you need is the activation code (which can be e-mailed to you so no shipping either). Have a search on this forum - lots of members have purchased from various eBay sellers - some are more recommended than others !!

Should be able to get for around €150-160 which is a huge saving.

3. disdat macrumors regular

disdat

I just purchased from LA Computer.
    Cost under $250 US. Check to see if they will ship to you. It is an actual box they ship w/ warranty info inside.

4. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

From my experience

If you buy apple care from Ebay you wont be able to register it with your address in Netherlands. You need to get a USA address.

I did it once with one of the macbook pros i sold. First I sold the the Macbook Pro . Then I sold him Apple care for 200 dolar ( i bought it for 150 if remember it correctly ) He tried to register it with his Turkish home address which did not work. Then I gave him my former address in USA and probably was able to register - since he did not contact me again - ( or have I blocked him on Msn messenger :p , )

Dont just get the key and try to get the sealed package

5. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Thats strange. I purchased iMac, Macbook and iPod Touch AppleCare on Ebay (US) and was able to register it in fine in Spain.

6. dhd thread starter macrumors member

dhd

Thanks to everybody for the replies!!!

I still have a couple of questions:

chas0001: did you had any problem with customs?, and, did you get the box with the dvd and certificate or just the code?.

Thanks again

Ps.About the us address issue, I think there is a difference between portables applecare and desktop applecare, ie the portable gets service worldwide, and the desktop only in the country were it was bought. Am I right?

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - you are correct - Apple warranty on portables (including the Mini I think) is worldwide whereas desktops are covered in the country purchased. My understanding is that the AppleCare 3 year cover simply extends the time and does not change the location of service availability - portables are covered worldwide, desktops in the same country.

As regards Customs there should not be any liability since the code can be e-mailed or a piece of paper posted in an envelope. The box is not needed.

8. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I was just emailed the code. When you register the device on the Apple website you are directed to download the TechTool Deluxe software As you have a laptop it will be covered internationally.

9. paulmoscow macrumors member

You don't necessarily need to have an American address. AppleCare Protection Plan is not available in all countries, but in EMEA they are as follows:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark (excluding Greenland and Faroe Islands), Germany, Finland (excluding Åland), France (excluding Corsica, overseas departments and territories), Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Spain (including Balearic Islands but excluding Canary Islands, Ceuta, Melilla) Sweden, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Norway (excluding Svalbard) and the United Kingdom.
    http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Note that Turkey is not shown in that list of countries and explains why there was a problem registering with a Turkish address. (Post 4)

11. paulmoscow macrumors member

Same is here in Russia, though all authorized service centers will honor your ACPP.

12. dhd thread starter macrumors member

dhd

Hi everybody!,

First of all, thanks everybody for your help!.
    Finally I've managed to get the APP in ebay for 170€:D (dutch store price 439€). I went to apple registration website and managed to download the TechTool dvd. In that site, I can see that I'm covered until 07-2010, but in the AppleCare Agreements site it still says "Status: Registration in progress"????. Is that normal?. I guess that the code I was sent is legit, but it takes some time to process?.

Edit: It registered fine and indeed it took 24 hours to be confirmed by apple. Thanks to all!!!

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Hmm. I just called AppleCare here in the US and got a different answer regarding Slovenia (where I spend about half of each year). There is one Apple Authorized Service Provider in Slovenia, but the woman on the phone here in the US said that I shouldn't buy AppleCare because she found a note in her system stating that "anyone in Slovenia who has managed to purchase AppleCare (via an online source or otherwise) should be given a refund".

She took that to mean that AppleCare would NOT be honored at the Authorized Service Provider in Slovenia.

Anyone have any information to the contrary? I'm debating whether or not to purchase AppleCare.