AppleCare Education discount verification?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Neo-Tech, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Hello,

I just ordered AppleCare for my 13" MacBook Pro with the education discount and am just wondering if and how Apple will verify that I'm in education? I ask because my father ordered it for me using his credit card account and I'll be paying him later for it.

Thanks

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If the AC shows up, it would seem to indicate Apple is satisfied that you are in education. I remember getting an email asking me to fax in proof of registration when I bought from another company using an education discount. I've never used it with Apple so I don't know if they do this but I would think no money would change hands unless they were willing to sell it to you at the education price.

3. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

I've bought 3 Macs, iPods (back when they had a student discount) and various accessories in the 8 years I've been a student using my discount. I've never had to verify my status

4. primalman macrumors 6502a

Apple randomly asks for documentation or if they feel a pattern of purchases is not student like. I have purchased with an edu discount for 20 years and I have never been asked, but many of my students have over the years.

5. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I've purchased 2 MBPs, an iPhone, an iTouch and a Nano and never been asked to verify.

6. nicks macrumors newbie

Sending a scan of your student ID should do the trick, if they ask for proof

7. Defactomonkey macrumors member

I wouldn't worry about it. I have never heard of them seeking verification, and if they do just claim ignorance and pay full price. You won't go to Apple jail.

8. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

That's good to hear. I've got my student ID handy with me so if they ask for proof, I'll just scan it and e-mail it them. Though the box for the AppleCare has been shipped so I assume everything's gone fine.

Good stuff. Thanks for the swift responses guys and gals! :)

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If you are a UK uni student an you order over your uni network you should get a free 3 year warranty. It shouldn't matter if your dad pays, so long as it is for your use. See my sig for more details.

10. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Apple does not really verify if you are student when you order online. I wonder who the hell orders without the education pricing.

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Edu pricing is only 5% off. Corp pricing is 10% I think. Amazon used to trump them both, but now they are collecting tax :(

12. primalman macrumors 6502a

No on all counts, as far as I can see.

EDU pricing is not by % but by amount, $50, $100, $200 or $300 depending on computer or display, and most other products such as adapters, accessories, iPads, iPods and iPhones do not get a discount. There used to be a nominal % off that was evident, but they went to set $ amounts I think about 5-6 years ago. Institutional EDU customers can get larger discounts based on volume of purchase or with the various leasing options.

Business used to have discounts, but my flip through the business store does not show any discounts. Again, it is possible that certain volume customers can get breaks based on number of items, frequency, etc.

Government and military individual customers now get the same discounts as EDU.

As far as my almost 20 years of buying EDU tells me, individual purchasers have nearly always got the better deal with EDU pricing. Shoot, they even used to discount iPods!

Amazon collects limited taxes, from their mouth:

----------

As I said earlier in the thread:

If you get caught, they simply bill you for the difference, including applicable taxes.

Note, tried three times to make the last section its own post, but forum won't let me!