"AppleCare Engineering Follow-Up - Discussion Board Post"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ankehuber, May 1, 2012.

1. ankehuber macrumors member

I received this email today, and I would usually write it off as spam but thought I'd post it here to ask first as I googled it and I couldn't find it as a spam listing, just an actual positive thing. It also seemed to come from Apple's mail servers.

If it is spam then at least this post will be googleable and will help people know that it really is.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The phone # and links both check out as legit (assuming you didn't do anything to alter the links when you put them into the post).

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I don't understand why you would think it is SPAM.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Well, it could have been phishing, if the links didn't actually go to the sites they purported to. If you hover over it and it looks something like apple-support.somewhere.cn/you/got/robbed then run away :)

Phishers are getting better at looking like real emails too. The only way to tell is to carefully check the actual URL.

5. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Yeah but there's a damn phone number. Why even post this on MR? Just call the number and ask, lol. You can't download a keylogger by making a phone call.

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

True. But a phisher could include a real phone # to make it look legit, but still spoof the URLs. It's happened.

7. ankehuber thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I know that the number looks legit, and so do the URLs too but you just never know. I was posting it here as I found nothing online and thought the replies I might get might help people searching in future.
    Also, it was a US number and as I'm from the UK it didn't really fill me with confidence initially.

As a further note, another person I was conversing with on the official Apple Discussion Forum actually called the number and spent an hour with the engineer installing software on his machine to track all the glitches and crashes he was experience. It appears Apple don't really read those crash reports you send as he said he'd never seen the dozens this guy had sent.

Anyhoo, thanks for the reassurance, that's all I really wanted.