Applecare EU

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leon2arts, May 24, 2011.

1. leon2arts macrumors newbie

Hi all, im going to buy the new 27 imac 3.4ghz from the applestore (France) with the student discount and i was wondering: isnt the applecare supposed to be like 50 euros (like 75 $) for student discounts if you buy it at the same time with the imac??

When i add it to the cart, the applecare shows 148.30 euros (like 187 $) :(

Any one knows how this works? :apple:

Thanks for any help!!

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

Go to the education store, and get it for $130USD, or $50 cheaper.

Just scroll down on store.apple.com, click education store, enter a random college, and just send it to your house.. no id required

$130 is well worth 3 years of coverage, especially considering how expensive this thing is to fix.

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Student Applecare for iMac is US $119, so that would put it around €84. Though I'm sure there are export/additional taxes that will bump it up.

4. DJHack macrumors regular

I rang them to place my order as a student.

My AppleCare came in at £38.

I suggest you phone ad speak to them as they generally do a better deal that way.

Good luck :)

5. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

That's just the extended phone support though. At least if you're a university student. I won't be bothering with it, even for £38 as the macs from the education store come with a 3 year warranty as standard so if you have no need for the telephone support and its not too late to get a refund I'd do it.

6. leon2arts thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean it comes standart without adding the applecare to the list? :confused:

this is what shows up on the applestore through student discount:
    AppleCare Protection Plan pour iMac - Auto-enroll [+ 148,30 €]

Isnt this the phone support?? :
    One to One
    1-abonnement One to One année [+ 99,00 €]

thanks for the info every one! :eek:

7. DJHack macrumors regular

Oh right. Didn't know that - where does it say? And why do they bother selling it asa protection plan if just phone support. I wouldn't have bothered either if that was the case.

Can you post a link?

Ta

8. DJHack macrumors regular

9. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Are you a university student? I believe its only for the Higher Education customers. If you view the higher education prices it'll say as such. I can't post a link as its only available within the university network but if you are a higher education customer then give Apple a call - they'll explain it to you. But to confirm I even called a rep today who explained it all to me.

Sorry but I was responding to DJHack, I'm not sure if its available as such in your country.

EDIT: Check the attachment. I'm pretty certain its only applicable for university students.

Attached Files:

10. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

AppleCare is, in general the warranty AND phone support. The £30ish top-up is a university student option as under HE Agreements (in the UK at least), we get the 3 year hardware as standard. AppleCare for 150 euros is cheaper than the standard price, but not as cheap as the simple telephone-support top-up. (As it includes the 3 year hardware warranty).
    One To One is not phone support, it is instead a membership which allows you to go to an Apple Retail Store, and get one-to-one instruction in Store. It is not related to phone support or the warranty in anyway. Just named confusingly.

11. DJHack macrumors regular

Thanks Ubuntu, I am distance studying an MSc so have been able to get the HE discount ... But only over the phone as I don't access the Uni network. But this is at shows on my order:

CC- HE CONTRACT UPLIFT IMAC-INT
    £38.00
    £38.00
    Dispatched: 15 Jun, 2011
    Delivers 20 Jun, 2011 Standard Service
    Part Number: S2365Z/D

They didn't tell me that when ordering! Really glad to know that, thanks :D

Oh well, I don't want to upset my order so I guess I'll just have to phone them regularly for a chat to get my monies worth ;). :p

12. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

No (it's not the phone support), one to one is something else. You go into store and have a one on one session to learn how to use a Mac, IIRC.

13. wavey.dave macrumors newbie

Applecare is not the same as the 3 year HE warranty.

With an Applecare warranty repair, Apple will collect and return and their own cost. This is not the case with the 3 year warranty. I read somewhere that Apple telephone support won't even deal with you after the first 12 months, you need to make an appointment in a store (don't know how true this is).

If you buy from an actual Apple Store, you don't get the 3 year warranty included, even though you can get the HE prices.

14. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

It may have changed recently but this was not the case for my 2006 macbook which had the standard 3 year education warranty. Apple collected and returned at their own cost and I was able to organise these repairs on the phone (or online). The only thing I didn't get was actual phone support (as in "my macbook keyboard doesn't work, what do I do?" for example) so it'd be nice to know if this is still the case.

15. iStudentUK, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm pretty sure it is only UK students, they have a special arrangement.

UK university students get a free warranty online, and a much reduced AppleCare price if they want. I don't think it includes the rest of the EU.

I'm afraid you did waste the money, sorry! UK HE students (well 99% of them) get a 3 year warranty + 1 year phone support for free when they buy online/phone. NOT in store. The "HE Uplift" just gives you 3 years phone support. See the link below for more details, Apple can be very good at not telling students about the free warranty.

However, am I reading it right that it hasn't been delivered yet? Your post says Jun 2011. Under UK law you have a 7 day "cooling off" period from when the service starts, so you should be able to get a refund from Apple if you like. It's covered by the Distance Selling Regulations.

You are half right. The UK HE warranty isn't quite the same as AppleCare, but when my gf used hers they picked up and dropped it back for free. They made no comment that it was a student warranty, they only looked at the expiry date. They will deal with you on the phone to deal with hardware problems (ie arrange collection) but won't give you software support.

The free 3 year warranty is only online/phone as you said. See here for a discussion detailing the different UK education discounts.