Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Guys, need your advice.

I have rMPB mid 2012, and on september 2013, the warranty will be over (1 year).

I want to buy AppleCare for retina 15" (2 year warranty).
My question is :

1. How affective this applecare to cover your warranty? somebody have experience with this? can you share me please

2. Should I buy this applecare? I have using my retina for 9month and all is fine. need your suggest/advice

thanks all, GBU

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Guys, need your advice.

I have rMPB mid 2012, and on september 2013, the warranty will be over (1 year).

I want to buy AppleCare for retina 15" (2 year warranty).
My question is :

1. How affective this applecare to cover your warranty? somebody have experience with this? can you share me please

2. Should I buy this applecare? I have using my retina for 9month and all is fine. need your suggest/advice

thanks all, GBU
With being in the USA I would get it. Pretty sure it's no different if you had a issue during the 1st year of the standard warranty. Not sure what your consumer laws are over there compared to the UK but UK can claim for a fault within 6 years FOC

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
With being in the USA I would get it. Pretty sure it's no different if you had a issue during the 1st year of the standard warranty. Not sure what your consumer laws are over there compared to the UK but UK can claim for a fault within 6 years FOC

Hmm, in UK is the best :D
in my country just have a authorized reseller (ibox, estore, infinity)...
can I claim my warranty on this reseller?

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Apple care is something you have to consider if it is worth it, for another 2 years of warranty, if it is a well built one you should get away with it, again how do you know it is well built. I consider myself lucky bought a used mbp and came with apple care, so far nothing wrong another 6 months to go. with your other apple devices you have did you buy warranty for it ?

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Maybe I'm the most unlucky Mac customer ever. I'm glad I had applecare on my first MBP. 2009 model. Mid-way through 2nd year the HDD failed on the Time Capsule I bought at the same time. The applecare on my MBP covered that. Overnighted me a new TC no charge. 2 mos. later HDD on MBP died. Replaced HDD no charge. Near end of year 3 I had purple lines running through screen intermittently. Genius bar couldn't decide if it was screen or logic board causing issue. Replaced both no charge. I basically had a new computer at the end of year 3.

Retina models with soldered RAM, CPU and solid state drives would be expensive repairs. Also unlimited phone support included. I believe in applecare.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Maybe I'm the most unlucky Mac customer ever. I'm glad I had applecare on my first MBP. 2009 model. Mid-way through 2nd year the HDD failed on the Time Capsule I bought at the same time. The applecare on my MBP covered that. Overnighted me a new TC no charge. 2 mos. later HDD on MBP died. Replaced HDD no charge. Near end of year 3 I had purple lines running through screen intermittently. Genius bar couldn't decide if it was screen or logic board causing issue. Replaced both no charge. I basically had a new computer at the end of year 3.

Retina models with soldered RAM, CPU and solid state drives would be expensive repairs. Also unlimited phone support included. I believe in applecare.

I also have a 2009 model that was solid until year 3. Had a recurring sleep issue and had to replace the hard drive twice and the hd cable numerous times. AppleCare saved me a lot of expense! I even got replacements a year out of AppleCare even though most of the work the previous year had been done at an authorized service provider that closed. The Genius I talked to really saved me!

OP, I would say that AppleCare is definitely worth the purchase even for just peace of mind. For machines that are $1200+, I feel much better knowing that if something goes wrong it will be taken care of. With soldered on parts and that fancy screen still in its first generation I'd definitely get it. Rumor is they cover ghosting and the other known issues with retina.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
I'd get it to cover the display since it costs $700 to replace. I noticed white spots on my Samsung display last night after 11 months of use. Apparently it's not an uncommon issue. Maybe it'll happen to the replacement screen. Maybe stuck/dead pixels will develop over time as experienced by other people. Then the possibility of IR occurring with LG displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.