Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
ColoRADo
I tried searching so I apologize if I didn't do a good job of finding if this has been covered, but what are the options of getting warranty coverage/insurance after Applecare+ expires? It seems like a lot of S0/2015 watches are coming off Applecare+ warranty coverage this year and will be dealing with this matter....

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I tried searching so I apologize if I didn't do a good job of finding if this has been covered, but what are the options of getting warranty coverage/insurance after Applecare+ expires? It seems like a lot of S0/2015 watches are coming off Applecare+ warranty coverage this year and will be dealing with this matter....
Which Apple Watch do you have?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
S0 SS 42mm...not the original owner but AC+ is on the watch and transferred over to me.
I don't know of any warranty. I don't think the replacement cost warrants purchasing a warranty now. Obviously depends on warranty cost. If there is even an option.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
You can always check with your Homeowner's insurance provider, but I think once an electronic device is of a certain age, it will probably cost more to insure it with just about any third party than it will be worth paying. My original series Apple Watch Sport will be two years old next month. I will just replace it with a newer Series 1 or 2 if/when it breaks (heck... it might last me all the way to Series 3).

Of course the Stainless Steel case was a bit more of an investment than the aluminum Sport cases. And what about the Gold Edition owners? Actually the Gold Edition owners will probably have enough money that they don't worry about such things. But there are probably many Stainless Steel owners who are hoping to get at least another year or so out of their investment.

It seems like original series SS models are selling used for around $200 to $350 or so... but it depends on the included band. You might find a third party that will offer some degree of insurance, but it will probably cost you in both premium and deductible.

I would do one of two things at this point: Hope for the best, but be prepared to pay for repair or buy a new watch when the time eventually comes. Speaking as someone who makes a living in IT support it seems that most devices last longer than their owners want them to. Meaning the owner eventually replaces the device because it's simply too old and too slow....and they want to upgrade to a newer model.

The other option is to sell your SS Apple Watch while it still has some value, and put the money towards upgrading to a Series 2. Apple even sells refurbished stainless steel Series 2 watches for about a $100 less than new. You could upgrade to a new (or refurbished) watch and get AppleCare+ for it.

Sean

Reactions: preppy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.