AppleCare for 2018 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shredder-, Oct 4, 2018.

?

Buy AppleCare for 2018 Macbook Pro?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    87.1%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Shredder- macrumors regular

Hello,

I'm on the add to cart page and I can't decide if I should get AppleCare. Just reading the forums here about keyboard issues and what not makes me second guess my soon-to-be purchased macbook. However, rationality kicks in and I get it that people who haven't experienced issues are not turning to forums to compliment their macbooks - so all issues posted here on the forums needs to taken with a grain of salt.

That said, what's the benefit of purchasing AppleCare - if my keyboard were to act up in say, 2 years - will AppleCare fully cover the repair / new machine?

2. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

IF there is a repair program in place and it is determined to be covered under it then yes. If not it would be out of pocket.

My experience with the 2018 was 3 out of 3 with issues and as crazy as it sounds I may actually try a go with a 4th. But I would definitely purchase Apple Care if I do.

3. Shredder- thread starter macrumors regular

The 2018 macbook pros don't come with a repair program do they? Yet, people seem to experience the same keyboard issues that we saw in the 1st/2nd gen butterfly keyboards, issues that are covered by a repair program

4. jerryk macrumors 601

So far my 2018 MBP has been very reliable. No keyboard issues at all. I did not have a 2016 or 2018 MBP so I don't know if this better. But the unit just keeps working day after day.

5. sosumi99 macrumors 6502

sosumi99

The 2018 MBPs haven't been out long enough for us to draw this conclusion. Anecdotally, we've seen some reports from users with keyboard problems that they believe are similar in nature to previous generations'; we've also seen some (not-very-scientific) "studies" that claim the new membrane is making things more reliable. Until a year or so passes and we can assess the rate of failure of these new keyboards, we just won't know.

6. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Not yet, but it would not surprise me if we eventually see one. @Naimfan ,I and others have had issues with the 2018 MBP keyboard. I will be surprised if we don't see one down the road. Just my personal opinion, I think Gen 3 is improved but not fixed.

7. IngerMan, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018

IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

To me the cost of AppleCare + is outrageous. For the 15” $379 plus accidentally damage repair $299. That’s 32% what I paid for the laptop. I’ll take my chances for such a steep price and short time coverage.

If I accidentally damage my laptop, shame on me. If it fails from hardware in 3 years it will be the last apple MBP I purchase. I paid the premium because I expect it to last like all the other apple products I have purchased.

8. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

You have more faith in Apple than I do these days. It probably doesn’t help that I have already had to return 3 2018 MBP’s for issues, but my confidence in their machines isn’t what it used to be for me.

9. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

I did purchase it mainly to get a 4 year warranty since Apple Care stacks with my Amex Extended Warranty benefit. 4 years covers as long as I plan to own the laptop so I'll get any major failures covered in that timeframe. With everything being soldered on it raises the stakes that any failure out of warranty will be an expensive repair if paid out of pocket.

10. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

AppleCare is essentially insurance and no successful company usually loses money selling insurance (except natural disasters that they have to cover).

Essentially, Apple estimates the AppleCare money going out for repairs and the AppleCare money coming in from customers. Factoring in some profit, Apple decides what to sell the AppleCare for as to not lose money. It may save you a big repair cost but you most likely will not use it.

I myself do not plan on getting AppleCare for any future Apple purchases.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2018 ---
    The usual failure mode for most electronic items is an immediate failure (and Apple lets you return those) or a very long time failure.

11. Pentium macrumors 6502

Pentium

I just got mine and I bought AppleCare+ right away.

I don't want any headache, I'm coming from 2011 hardware and I was waiting for the last 2 years.

12. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys

Don't forget that you can ask for a prorated refund at anytime during coverage.

13. javisan macrumors regular

That is an excellent point. If you would like to save some $, you could buy it an then at the 2-year anniversary reassess if you believe that you need it for the 3rd and final year.

I would think that if the Mac has any issues, it will definitively occur within the first 2 years or well after 3 years. If you have had zero issues with it for 2 years, the chances of something going wrong from years 2 to 3 are very very slim in my opinion.

14. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

It isn't as clear cut when it comes to manufacturer extended warranties like you have here with Apple Care. The actuarial calculations are not done the same way you would see for "insurance". So you don't see Apple charging higher rates for Apple Care on models where failure rates are higher. We also don't know in what way Apple measures "profitability" for Apple Care.

Additionally, when you have particularly problematic models they could opt to replace machines with new models that may have repairs baked in. You'd think they would charge these costs against Apple Care, but they could also bill some of it as "customer goodwill". Making it hard to look at their balance sheet and see where Apple Care stands overall.

Generally speaking, I agree these warranties make more money for the company than they cost them, but that doesn't mean they won't miscalculate the failure rate for any given model.

15. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

The apple care prices have really gone up. I did pay $169 apple care for my 2015 iMac. But they want $379 for a 15" MBP.. And an additional price for the repair. It's not the insurance at minimal burden that it use to be. It takes things to a whole new budget.

16. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

YES YES YES! My 2017 macbook pro keyboard is trash. It is still broken even after getting the whole keyboard placed. There is definitely a design flaw with it. They had to replace the whole upper case and battery with it which costed $800!!! It was actually free though because of the repair program, but if i didn't have warranty I would of had to buy a new laptop because of a broken key (Unbelievable!)

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

18. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Of course, that is for Apple Care+, which now covers accidental damage. Is it still possible to buy non+ standard Apple Care?

19. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

I don't think so, Just to see I just added a 2017 Refurbished to my bag and the only option was + at $379.00

20. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

think of it this way, 329 now or god forbid if anything happen that isn't your fault, the repair bill will be 2-3x greater since everything is soldered on and the only way to fix even the smallest failure is to replace the entire unit. i mainly purchase AC to sleep better at night lol.

21. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

That is a bummer. I mean it accounts for some of the price increase from 2015, but it is a shame that they force the buyer into an all or nothing proposition for it. Most manufacturers seem to separate extended warranty from accidental damage as two separate purchases.