Applecare for $45?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bowlerguy10, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

Do you guys recommend that I get applecare for $45? Is it worth it?

2. delude macrumors 6502

I would definitely recommend it! How are you getting it that cheap? In the UK it is double that amount!
    I haven't bought it yet, but as long as you do any time during your first year of having the Touch you will get an extra years warranty plus phone support. I think that if you spend that much on an electrical item, it is worth protecting it. (Off topic i know, but have you seen the price of Applecare for Macs?!?! Mental!)

3. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. delude macrumors 6502

Just looked on eBay and found them really cheap! (Just not too common, there are more for Macs)

it may be worth checking eBay US as you could snag a right bargain! As long as it's new and hasn't been opened and registered it's good :D

5. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya........I would rather not leave that sort of thing to chance.

6. delude macrumors 6502

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

$45 extended warranty for a $250 device? No.

Remember AppleCare is not insurance, its an extended warranty. It won't protect you from breakage due to dropping or liquids or any of the other myriad of things that are more likely to happen than the electrical/mechanical failure that AppleCare does cover. Put the money in the bank towards a new touch in a few years time.

8. delude macrumors 6502

flopticalcube, what about if the battery fails and needs replacing? What happens if the screen becomes unresponsive? The warranty would cover this. I personally think that it is worth it, as I know how Apple get when the warranty is up.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I just don't think the risk justifies the cost. If the touch fails it will likely fail within its first year (probably within its first month). But if it helps you sleep better at night, then by all means buy AppleCare and sleep in peace. Can't really put a price on peace of mind (and Apple knows this).

10. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I paid $400 for mine.......not sure where you can find an iPod touch for $250.

11. delude macrumors 6502

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. That's why if I was to buy it I would get it off eBay, which would convert to around $20.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Walmart sells the touch for $277. I have seen it slightly cheaper at Best Buy when its on sale.

13. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya.......I would strongly recommend against assuming that I purchased my touch for a discount.

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Who the hell cares what you paid for it? The point that he's making is that $45 is a pretty signifigant fraction of what you paid for the device. Why not just wait until the end of the year and see if you've had problems by then? If not, then you probably won't need Apple Care.

15. delude macrumors 6502

akonradi, I can see where you're coming from but surely the longer you own and use an iPod, the more chance that the battery would need replacing or have problems. No?

16. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

Before you make up your mind, you should read this article http://tv.about.com/od/warranties/a/buyexwarranty.htm , along with the relevant links.

Ask yourself these questions:

1. Does the extention start immediately, or after the one year manufacturer's warrenty ends?
    2. What exactly (in writing) does it cover?
    3. What (in writing) is not covered?
    4. Are both parts and labor covered, or just parts?
    5. Who services the warrenty? Apple, or a third party? Who pays for the shipping and insurance for warrenty work?
    6. What will be the value of your touch more than one year down the road? Will it be worth the warrenty cost plus two way shipping and insurance?
    7. Does the warrenty cover damage due to neglect (broken screen, water, etc)?​

Do your research before dropping $25 unnecessarily. In general, extended warrenties are a scam. They wouldn't be sold unless the seller was making a profit, i.e., knowing that they'll only have to pay out once out of several hundred sold.

Personnaly, I'd pass.

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

The battery should still be running fine in two years, around 80% capacity in theory. Apple won't go around replacing every battery because of natural decreases in capacity. Even so, you're just saving four bucks on the battery replacement that you might not even use.

These extended warranties are gambles, and the buyer usually loses.

18. delude macrumors 6502

^Thanks!

(I've noticed this is a vBulletin board, the admin should enable the 'Thanks' button :D)

EDIT:

Something to consider...

19. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I've bought extended warranties twice over a 25 year span and have saved THOUSANDS by not shelling out for such warranties on more items (I'm a gadget freak too). The only two things I've bought extended warranties on were my SONY SXRD rear-projection HD TV about two years ago right now, and a TASCAM DAT machine in 1997.

In general extended warranties are not at all worth the $ in my opinion.

Mike

20. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I purchased an $11 drill at home depot and they wanted me to pay $4 for an extended warranty. What a joke.

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

I once purchased a $12 mouse ant best buy and they wanted $7.95 for the warranty...

22. Resist macrumors 68030

If a product needs an extended warranty, then that should tell you something about its quality.

I only purchase extended warranties on high ticket products that have a high repair cost, like in the case of certain vehicles (but not all). But more importantly I do my research and if a certain product has a long history of issues that need the extended warranty, then I pass on purchasing the product.

Companies should stand behind their products without requiring the use of an extended warranty.

23. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its not what you paid for it, its what you have to pay for it when you buy the warranty. Think replacement cost when assessing the risk (both to the touch and your capital).

24. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I used to office next to an independent TV repairmen. You should have seen how many LCD and plasma screen TVs he had in there waiting for repairs. Huge numbers of them woudl come through. There are very few items i'd buy the extended warranty for, but for my two high dollar LCD's, I bought the extended warranty through Sams Club for each.

25. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Extended warranties are good but sometimes the pricing doesnt make sense. And why do these retail stores make the warranty start at the moment of purchuse, when you already have the 1yr manufacturers warranty. I was at office depot today and a lady paid $100 for warranty on a $600 laptop. The sales clerk even told her that it was good to get it because she could easily break her screen. The warranty I don't think covers accidental damage.