AppleCare for a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by christiemp, Jul 27, 2008.

1. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

Is it worth it? Probably....I just need opinions...aghh :(

Does it cover accidental damage?!

2. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I'd say it's worth it. It's saved my butt on a number of occasions. :) It does not cover accidental damage, though, so don't drop your MacBook.

Also, you don't have to buy it with the computer; you have one year from the date of purchase to buy it and register it.

3. illidian macrumors 6502

Considering that nearly any problem will cost more than the price of AppleCare, it's not a bad idea.

4. smootling macrumors member

I hear a lot of horror stories about people's experience with the apple repair guys. Is this just a vocal minority, or is the service substandard? I'd hate to pay a lot of extra cash for shoddy service. Any thoughts?

5. benh- macrumors member

Well, although I have a Macbook, I haven't had to use my limited warranty yet....and I was planning on getting AppleCare for my Macbook: but not now.

Apple have completely mucked up the service of my iPhone. Rude on the phone, not putting me through to their manager etc. It has almost made me turn against Apple, there service has been so bad. But then again, I'm a teenager - I get treated differently in store and on the phone.

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I think I'm one of the few here without AppleCare. I suppose it's because I never had to have any laptop of mine repaired in the past, and all served me well for years and years, so I'm kind of expecting the same thing to go for my Macbook. It's a gamble, but hell.

7. christiemp thread starter macrumors regular

christiemp

Yeah.I'm considering taking a gamble and not getting it. It's almost 200 bucks...what if nothing ever happens....then again....what if something does :-/

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Even if something does, it depends on if it's the kind of damage that AppleCare will cover.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

MacBook, yes!! I have one Apple wants $1200 to replace the logic board on and it's 16 months old.:eek: Had two others w. bad logic boards, one HDD and three batteries go so it's a wise investment.

It'll stay plugged in as a desktop before I'll pay more than a new machine to get it fixed.

10. christiemp thread starter macrumors regular

christiemp

Hmm.. I guess I'm sold on it. What's 200 bucks anyway? Nothing with a broken laptop I suppose..

11. StuBeck macrumors 6502

The service isn't great. The biggest problem is the length of time it takes for the repairs (other then some of them being asses.) A week to change a main board is stupid (it shouldn't be called a logic board) and I've heard of issues not being fixed too. I've had lots of problems as well, and they always have the excuse "oh, sorry, we only have one genius cuz the other's out," even though they always only have one working.

This is the big reason why I'm starting to get my apple certification. If I can change a motherboard for someone in half a day versus Apple taking a week, I should be able to get a lot of business. Helps that I work two blocks away from the apple store too.

For a Macbook its less needed then a MacBook Pro (user replaceable hard drive) but if the main board or lcd goes, it pays for itself a few times over. I'm going to buy it, but using my mum's student discount.

12. kage207 macrumors 6502a

My friend has had his Macbook for about 4 years now and hasn't had a problem with his Macbook until he had his harddrive crash and he had it replaced and it runs great now. He didn't get AppleCare though.

I got AppleCare with my Macbook. If you buy a Macbook right now as a student you save $100 on the computer and some money on AppleCare. I got the AppleCare for $183 for the student discount. So basically you get it for $183/3 cause it's three years support and that's what you basically pay for 3 years. I'm looking at getting insurance for my Macbook for when I go to college for accidental coverage and theft. I'm looking at a plan that covers $500 which isn't bad if I drop it. It'd cover all of it, if not all if I do manage to drop it. But if stolen, I'm out $700 compared to $1,200 and that plan is I think $69 for only one year coverage. www.safeware.com

13. Scathach macrumors newbie

I would have to say that applecare has been totally worth it for me. Unfortunately it doesn't cover accidental damage (yippie for my homeowners insurance because accidental damage is covered on my computers). I bought my macbook in fall 2007, and though I love my Macbook and will never go back to a PC again I have had more issues with it then any other laptop I have owned :( I have had the hard drive die, issues with keyboard, and cracks in the casing on a few occasions. And thats all within a year of me having my Macbook I can only imagine what is going to happen next lol.

Apple is for the most part really great with repairs, they even sent me a brand new machine last week since I have brought my laptop in so frequently (woohoo they upgraded my processor, ram, HD capacity, renewed applecare too so I am a wicked happy camper). I know it may seem expensive, some people have no issues with their Macbooks but I would play it safe.

14. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I recommend getting AppleCare for the MacBook. $200 (or $183 EDU) is a small price to pay for peace of mind.