AppleCare+ for Accidents

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Qartin, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Qartin macrumors newbie

AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee.

I guess you can **** the **** out of your phone twice and just pay $50 to replace it?

AppleCare+ costs $99

2. rwd hero macrumors 6502

3. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I thought most warranty repairs cost $200. I know they replaced my water damaged phone for $200. Applecare plus is $99 and $50 when you use it. I assume you don't get a new one, but a refurbished one as a replacement. You do get 2 replacements though, so I guess if you might use it twice the value goes up. Anyway, just trying to justify the cost.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You also must buy it at the time you buy a iPhone. You can't wait until after.

5. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No the old $200 was for an Out of Warranty replacement aka an accident with water or physical breakage.

The new AppleCare+ is a different way to get accident coverage instead of paying $200 per accident.

Dave

7. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Yeah, thats what I meant. I wrote warranty, but I meant out of warranty or something not covered by warranty, like water damage or cracked screens. Thanks for clarifying.

8. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

9. mikepro macrumors 6502

Seems like that's not actually true, even thought they say that on the Apple web site. If you read the actual terms and conditions PDF, you will find you can buy it up to 1 year, but they won't cover anything that happens before you bought it. (i.e. don't break your phone and then buy the warranty).

See my post here.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Interesting catch. The trick will be whether you can actually buy it separately or only as an addition to a cart containing a phone.

I just walked through a mock purchase on apple.com for an iphone4 8GB and AppleCare+ showed up under Recommended for You and I added it to my cart. When I then removed the phone from my cart, AppleCare+ was removed by the system with the following message:
    If you just go to the iPhone Accessories part of the store, there is no Add to Cart button like their is with AppleCare.

11. mikepro macrumors 6502

Ahh... interesting catch by you too! I can see why they might want to do this for their online store. Interesting way of enforcing it. I'll bet if you took your new iPhone 4s into an apple store after you got it, show it to a Genius to prove that it is fine, they will probably sell it to you and register it to that phone right there for you.

12. wurt macrumors member

13. deeddawg, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

deeddawg macrumors 604

They might very well do this if a Genius is able to check out the phone and ensure it is in good shape. Especially if the carriers don't sell it (which they might not do, as they have their own plans to sell), as may be the case since AT&T Premier didn't show it as an option when I just did a mock upgrade to an iphone4 8GB.

Just recognize it's a gamble to not buy at purchase if it's something you (speaking generally) really want.

It will be an interesting internet forum soap opera to read when someone takes a scratched/broken phone in and asks to buy AppleCare+!

14. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Do you guys think Applecare+ or Squaretrade is the better choice?

15. wurt macrumors member

Can anyone find out if we can get applecare+ through oru carriers?

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

See AppleCare+ vs. SquareTrade

What I don't know about SquareTrade is whether the plan transfers with the phone if you sell it. AppleCare+ appears to per their T&C.

17. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

Yup you can transfer square trade and even get a refund for the unused portion. Meaning you get a two year warranty then sell the phone after a year. They will refund you the unused part. It's pretty cool actually. But I prefer apple.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

@jtp098: Cool, sounds like they're pretty much equivalent (though AppleCare+ gives you the extended telephone support). Personally if I get this I'll go with Apple due to having an Apple store nearby.

19. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

You got it. Squaretrade(ST) does also extend the manufactures warranty. So they are pretty much the same.. You also pay 50 for accidental with ST but you gotta send it out. If your close to a apple store go with apple. Apple of course is much better to deal with!