AppleCare for custom laptops Question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by azharc, Aug 2, 2008.

1. azharc macrumors member

I'm about to get a custom Macbook Pro soon, and with refreshes just around the corner end-September (sorry, don't want to wait a month) - with quite a few hardware problems occurring here and there to people - what happens if my new custom Macbook Pro konks? If something needs replacing or servicing... suppose the whole system needs replacing? Due to the new MBPs my custom-MBP won't be in production anymore, what happens then? Do I get a new revised MBP *if* something goes wrong? Or will they act strange and offer me a refund? (highly inconvenient)

(I would call Apple and ask myself but international calling ain't good)

Thanks guys. Just curious.

2. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

The difference between service for a customized MBPro and a non-customized MBPro is very small. All repairs can be processed or completed either through the store or phone.

The only difference would be if it needs to be returned. Because it isn't a product that Apple Stores sell you would have to return it through the website/phone support, but you certainly still can. That applies also to the off-chance that computer is replaced instead of repaired at some point during its life.

3. tri3limited macrumors 6502

From my experience they just so happen to be able to replace the bits inside.

No chance of an upgrade i'm afraid!!

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I have a question...if you buy a customized and Apple wants to give you a new computer in 2 years while your under warranty and spend the extra money for stuff, will they give you a new computer with price values that match your paid price?

5. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Exactly... repairs can take place on any possible supported configuration of the portables. That's why, no matter what, you can have it repaired. An issue would only come about if you were needing to return/replace a configured model.

Yes, they take that into account. Basically you'll get the equivalent of what you originally purchased with what is available at that time.

For example, if what you configured was adding a larger HDD and maxing the RAM on the lower end MBPro you would receive the lower end MBPro with the largest HDD and maxed RAM, also including any upgrades that occurred with the introduction of the new line.

6. azharc thread starter macrumors member

Man you guys are really fast :) got a reply really quickly - thanks a lot :)

On a side note - I haven't seen many people having problems with Hi-Res displays (like striping issues) - could it be true that the display is less susceptible to the problem?

7. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Problems like that are usually worked out of production fairly well. Once Apple knows what's going on they'll make adjustments, so more than likely that is the case.

But rest assured, even more so, Apple is very good at taking care of such issues via repair. If you get the problem they'll fix it.

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Gotcha...thanks for that. Then when Apple replaced my iBook G4 last summer, they should have given me the RAM and HD upgrade for what I paid...oh well...doesnt matter, I have a MBP now :)

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if anything, the CCFL will never stripe, but the HR LED might, but I don't have that issue, and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Also if Apple were to ever replace anything, they will never give you a refund--they might give you a new computer with same or better specs.

10. azharc thread starter macrumors member

Good to know, thanks alphaod :)