AppleCare+ for HomePod Will Cost $39

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The HomePod, set to be released on February 9, will be eligible for an AppleCare+ protection plan like all of Apple's devices.

AppleCare+ for the HomePod will be priced at $39, according to an internal memo sent to retail employees and shared by 9to5Mac. AppleCare+ for HomePod will extend warranty coverage for the HomePod from one year to two years, with two years of telephone support included.

The AppleCare+ coverage will provide support for two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a $39 service fee. Accidental damage includes damage done to the HomePod by the user - repairs for manufacturing issues will be free.

Like AppleCare+ for Macs, Apple TVs, and iPads, coverage for AirPort devices is included in AppleCare+ coverage for HomePod. The AirPort must be purchased up to two years before the iPad or during the term of the HomePod's AppleCare+ coverage to be eligible for included repairs.

At $39, AppleCare+ for the HomePod is relatively inexpensive, and comparable in cost to AppleCare+ for the Apple TV, which is priced at $29.

AppleCare+ for HomePod will likely be available for purchase this Friday, right alongside the HomePod. Apple plans to begin accepting orders for the device on January 26, with an official launch to follow two weeks later on February 9.

Article Link: AppleCare+ for HomePod Will Cost $39

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Might mean there's not much in it to go wrong . . . It'd be nice if AC for MBPs weren't so expensive - and necessary.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
The only thing I can imagine to happen is that our son will kick it off the shelf. And the chance gets higher the more I think about it. So maybe it’s a good investment at all.

cknibbs

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Would have ordered 2 if available in Canada and supported multiple users for reminders/calendars/Apple Music... now I have a large chunk of time to consider moving out of the Apple ecosystem after 17 years.

itsbennett

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
Massachusetts
I wish Apple would just warranty everything for 2 years standard instead of nickle and diming. Their 250 billion cash hoard can handle the x% of defective devices.
AC+ is more for covering accidental damage and water damage, anyway, which significantly reduces the amount the user would have to pay if they didn't have it. it's a good deal, imo, for those instances.

Reactions: ikir and BvizioN

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
This is a very cool device, and I want one. But for $349, it just isn't going to happen. The JBL bluetooth speaker I bought for about $70 connects to my iPhone, and my iPhone has Siri on it, so that's pretty much good enough. I mean even if it was $199 I might drop my VISA, but at $349... I just can't do it.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I wish Apple would just warranty everything for 2 years standard instead of nickle and diming. Their 250 billion cash hoard can handle the x% of defective devices.
So they should cover broken screens and accidental damage for nothing extra?

Because that’s what AppleCare + on iPhone and the portables and desktops cover.

Again it looks like it’s still coming back to money

Reactions: ikir

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is a very cool device, and I want one. But for $349, it just isn't going to happen. The JBL bluetooth speaker I bought for about $70 connects to my iPhone, and my iPhone has Siri on it, so that's pretty much good enough. I mean even if it was $199 I might drop my VISA, but at $349... I just can't do it.
You're right, it doesn't make sense if you're only using it as a "speaker", but as a Siri-enabled hub, it's an entirely a different beast.