AppleCare+ for iMac Pro Costs $169, Same Price as Regular iMacs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released the iMac Pro, its all-new powerful desktop workstation aimed at professional users with demanding workflows.

While the iMac Pro starts at $4,999 for the base model, and costs up to $13,199 for a maxed-out, 18-core configuration, fortunately the price of AppleCare+ for iMac Pro isn't any more expensive than for a regular iMac.

AppleCare+ for iMac Pro can be purchased for $169 in the United States, which is the same price Apple charges for its 21.5-inch and 27-inch 4K and 5K iMac models. We've confirmed this is the price shown during checkout.

AppleCare+ extends an iMac Pro's warranty coverage to three years from its original purchase date and provides up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for any other type of damage.

iMac Pros are also covered by Apple's standard one-year limited warranty and 90 days of complimentary technical support by phone.

Article Link: AppleCare+ for iMac Pro Costs $169, Same Price as Regular iMacs

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Thats actually some really good news. With Apple care riding up with the iPhone X, I wasn't expecting good news foe a 13k Mac.

Return Zero

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Ha, this is amazing. No brainer for anyone plunking down $5k+ on a machine to get 2 years extra warranty at that price!

crw

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
We like to give Apple a lot of crap for their high prices but credit where credit is due. This is insanely affordable for warranty coverage for a workstation machine.

Reactions: Ant2369

SethBoy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
People say a lot of things about Tim Cook, but this is the surest indicator yet that he has gone crazy.

(In the best way possible, of course)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
We like to give Apple a lot of crap for their high prices but credit where credit is due. This is insanely affordable for warranty coverage for a workstation machine.

Ummmm you do realise that when you buy a workstation, the price usually includes 3year warranty, and you are petting Apple on the back for charging you at least £5k and on top of that £169.....

It should come with 3-5 year warranty for that price ! Not a pathetic 1 year standard consumer warranty for a "workstation" . This is no workstation, it's a space grey iMac .... consumer grade .

urtules

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
No wait I have been told that's what Apple does is trying to make more money. I've been told since Tim Cook came...

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
That is very surprising. I believe Apple used to charge $999 for Xserve Enterprise support but that was attached to an SLA and overnight parts and things like that. I expected an iPhone 8 / iPhone X tier where $169 for normal iMac and $299 for the iMac Pro w/ some sort of "workstation support" team added who can deal with Pro Apps along with shorter wait times.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
The real news is that they keep insisting on making 2 years a premium upgrade.

It'll sell anyways, so yeah, I'm surprised they keep the price the same.

It's worth mentioning they didn't make a special "AppleCare+ for iMac Pro" listing though. No specific Pro-targeted price change very likely without having to reverse marketing lingo/brochures/ads/... on the AppleCare+ options.

This just proves that Apple is milking the iPhone customer base. How can a £1150 device be £200 but a £5k device £169. It’s a complete joke how greedy they have become in some areas.
People who buy iMac Pros are more likely to bitch than Average Joe getting upsold thanks to monthly hidden fees for contracts or such shenanigans.

Glassed Silver:ios

nicho

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2008
This just proves that Apple is milking the iPhone customer base. How can a £1150 device be £200 but a £5k device £169. It’s a complete joke how greedy they have become in some areas.

How can a £20,000 car be £485 but a £500,000 home £150?

Hint: AppleCare+ is an insurance product (like the two types of insurance I quoted average prices for above) and isn't based solely on cost of device but also risk... which are you more likely to drop on the floor and smash - a phone you carry everywhere or a 10kg computer that doesn't move off your desk?

Reactions: macs4nw and Ener Ji

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
How can a £20,000 car be £485 but a £500,000 home £150?

Hint: AppleCare+ is an insurance product (like the two types of insurance I quoted average prices for above) and isn't based solely on cost of device but also risk... which are you more likely to drop on the floor and smash - a phone you carry everywhere or a 10kg computer that doesn't move off your desk?

Sure, your £485 is not 17% of £20000 .....

That is £3400. You will find your insurance premium is sooooo much less that that :)

AppleCare has become very expansive recently . No insurance should be approaching 20% of the value of item.

Reactions: maka344

LogicalVue

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
USA (Maine)
I'm glad they didn't also increase the price of AppleCare+ for the iMac Pro, but really they should have just bumped the warranty up to 3 years. 1 year is short as it is, let alone for hardware that starts at $5000.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Why is my 1/5 price iPhone X more?

While I agree that the iPhone AppleCare+ is priced too high we also have to realize
[doublepost=1513279154][/doublepost]
While I agree that the iPhone AppleCare+ is priced too high we also have to realize that people are probably 5 -10times more likely to utilize AppleCare on an iPhone just because of the increased likelihood of damage to a mobile device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.