AppleCare for iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KeyMs92, Nov 19, 2015.

1. KeyMs92 macrumors regular

I was wondering if you guys think it's worth it to take AppleCare for the iMac?

If it helps, I'll probably order this configuration:
    • 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
    • 3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 4GB
    • 512GB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
    • Magic Mouse 2
    • Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide
    • Accessory Kit
    179 bucks for AppleCare doesn't seem outrageous compared to the whole price, but then I still have a year to decide whether I want to take it. Is it worth it or money thrown away?

2. skyenet macrumors regular

skyenet

Unfortunately I don't find Apple products as reliable as they used to. In the UK consumer law provides for two years warranty and further cover if things go wrong after that. In my experience Apple are quite good here at covering items, certainly into the second year and sometimes into the third year. I have had the screen in a three year old iMac replaced free of charge. However I have just bought a new iMac 5K, i7, 512gb and 4Gb Vram and have taken out the Apple care for peace of mind. If things do go wrong, they are expensive. My original 24" iMac has been running more or less continuously since I bought it and not a thing has gone wrong with it. My 27' iMacs have not been as reliable :-(

3. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

Most extended warranties and support contracts aren't worth it..........

The Applecare is one exception IMHO...........get it, it's cheap enough and is worth the hardware and personal support when needed.
    Apple actually answers their phone calls in a very respectable time period.

4. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

i went to call them in portugal and instead of a number, the apple website asked me to stick my number in and they would call me. maybe 10 seconds after i pressed the button they rang.

5. Butchie-T macrumors regular

For the money you are spending on the iMac, it is a small price to pay per year for some insurance over the course of the 3 year timeframe.

6. Boost3devo macrumors newbie

I'm considering to buy it for my 5k imac, how much time you have to buy apple care from the day you received the imac? 90 day? 1 year? Does it depend the retailer?

7. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

8. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

1 year. It doesn't depend where you got your Mac.

9. benjai macrumors member

I didn't have applecare on my 24" iMac and luckily had no issues for over 5 years. I since bought a 27" two years ago and got applecare cheap off ebay for £45 just before the first year ran out.

Last week the stand mechanism snapped so the screen wouldn't stay up. I called Apple up, they arranged for a autrhosied company to come collect on monday, and it's being returned on friday. No hassle at all, £45 for two years extra warranty was a bargain.

10. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I'm sitting here next to a brand new iMac with Retina 27", 4.0 GHz, 512GB SSD, M395X graphics. It's never been used, because when I turn it on, nothing happens except the startup chime, and the fans spin up. No screen, nothing. Got it last night, and I'm going to the Apple Store tonight to have them look at it.

It's brand new iMac and it doesn't even turn on. QC being what it is, I'll be buying AppleCare 364 days from now.

11. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I self-insure for all my Apple products except for the iMac. I have AppleCare on it and recommend it to others. The reason for the exception is the highly integrated packaging of the iMac including an expensive display and essentially no user access. Also note that it is usually a $2K to $4K purchase that is kept for several years.

I did not use my AppleCare on my present iMac for any hardware repair, but did take advantage of the included phone support several times to resolve issues with software and user ignorance ;>) Also note that the AppleCare fee also covers any Apple peripherals you purchase for a healthy time before and after your iMac purchase. (Keyboards, routers, etc.)

If you calculate the cost per $ of insured value of AppleCare for the iMac vs. other products such as iPhones and iPads, you will see that it is very reasonably priced.

For all these reasons, I recommend it for iMacs.

12. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I would recommend buying AppleCare. Think about the investment you are making. I always buy it on any of my Apple devices. I have fortunately only ever had to use it once for one iMac that I owned and it saved me literally thousands of dollars. The machine was in the shop five times with numerous problems before Apple finally replaced it with a new one. The problems started at about 19 months and super glad I had AppleCare or I would have been paying out of pocket.

I say go for it. The peace of mind is worth a couple hundred dollars.

13. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

Many credit cards offer extended warranty, which pays for your repair for the second year. I have used it once for my Macbook Pro (covers $500 flat rate repair) and have had excellent experience with Chase/Visa. Many said Amex is even better.

14. campyguy macrumors 68030

And, don't buy it from Apple or Best Buy. B&H always has a much lower price. Amazon generally offers AC for a similar price as B&H - and, last time I bought it from them they added a year's worth of free cloud storage; not the photo storage, the file storage service they advertise for $70/year, and it's "stackable".

15. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Probably worth it in the US, but not in the UK.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was debating this myself, I've bought AC on and off through out the years. My last MBP purchase was without applecare. As I inch closer to a new computer purchase the increased cost (albeit smaller then other extended warranties) has entered into my thought process.

I think the post that best describes why to get is below.

17. DontGetTheCheese macrumors member

It's ironic that when you are trained to sell warranties one of the very first things they tell you to sell is "peace of mind".

Look, I'll make this simple, before making it not simple, it's impossible for you to evaluate the value of an extended warranty, the only entity that can do that is Apple, and the reinsurance company if they have one. And while I like Apple products there is one unrelating certainty about Apple, they don't do things to lose money, hence Apple Care makes money for Apple, and probably doesn't for you.

The long version.

In order to evaluate an extended warranty as a consumer you need to know 3 things, the price of the warranty, the likelihood of a problem and the cost to repair the product. The calculation is basically, the price of repairs multiplied by the the likelihood of needing repairs. So, how often does the GPU, memory, drive, monitor, etc., fail, multiplied by the cost of repair/replacement for those failures. It's impossible to know this because we don't have access to these numbers. But, in essence, if you spend $100 for a warranty on a $2,000 product you need to get back $100 in terms of repairs for it to pay for itself, and I can tell you, without reservation that while that happens for individuals, it does not happen in the aggregate unless someone screwed up.

I sold extended warranties many years ago, so I know the retail margins (what the retailer made) for the company I worked for. It was over 50%. And that's not including the reinsurance companies and the actual insurance company itself. My guess was that for every $100 that was spent on a warranty, less than $20 came back to the buyer. Or to put it another way, if you are considering spending $100 on a warranty, give it to me, I'll give you $80 back, and we'll both come out ahead relative to buying a warranty, at least for the one's I sold. And I'm pretty sure those numbers haven't changed much.

There are other reasons to sell extended warranties besides profit. They allow a company to provide better service. Maybe you get a replacement rather than a repair, but maybe you don't. Maybe 2015 iMacs turn out to be buggy as heck because of some cheap part that we don't know about it. But my point is, you can't know that so you are being asked to make an uninformed decision.

Finally, I get the peace of mind thing, despite what I opened with. The iMac 5K is a worrisome product. They sacrificed too much to make it 5K in a tiny form factor in my opinion. I like the Mac ecosystem (have a iPhone, iPad and Macbook), and want to toss my PC, but this thing is a tough buy. If it were in a different case, with better cooling, more flexible hardware options (especially the GPU), I'd be all over it, but that isn't what it is.

So, I understand the argument, but I just wanted to make it clear that as a buyer, extended warranties are almost always a loser, and that it's impossible for a buyer to evaluate them.

18. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

I don't trust Apple products in general and you can get Applecare for pretty cheap if you are savvy so it's an easy choice. $100 or cheaper here in the US...makes sense for $2k-$3k computer.

19. double329, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

double329 macrumors 6502

It's like anything else with electronic component, you will never know. I think you have a year to add the apple care to extend to the next two years. I usually get the Apple care for the more expensive stuff. Ex: My rMBP developed few white spot on the LCD panel two years later. I brought it to Apple store the replace the new panel, it would have cost me close to $700 to replace, but it doesn't cost me anything with Apple care. Its' a peace of mind like everyone else said. Get it.

20. kazmac, Nov 22, 2015

kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

KeyMs92, I second ^^BIGMac's advice. Buy AppleCare for this iMac.

While I've only had to use AppleCare once in my 16 years of iMac ownership, it's come through with flying colors. The one time I did not buy Apple Care on a refurbished iMac I regretted it.

21. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

When you make the purchase online with Apple Care, Does AppleCare period counts the days from day of ordering?shipment? Or when you actually received it?

22. DaakuMaujii macrumors member

DaakuMaujii

It's a small price to pay in case anything happens to the Mac. Check iFixit's repair manual; you don't want to open it up yourself unless you absolutely have to.

23. DontGetTheCheese, Nov 22, 2015

DontGetTheCheese macrumors member

24. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Not sure if it's from the day of order or shipment, perhaps someone else can give you the right answer.

25. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I got it for the cheaper price at B&H. Thought it was worth it for the extra two years especially with the the fusion drive in it if the spinning drive goes out.