iPad AppleCare+ for iPad in the UK questions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rcw2012, Dec 3, 2013.

1. rcw2012 macrumors member

I have a couple of questions on AppleCare+ for iPad in the UK that I'd be interested in people's thoughts on:

1. AppleCare+ seems to be the only version of AppleCare now available in the UK for iPads as Apple don't seem to have the original AppleCare product anywhere on their UK website? With the original AppleCare product you could purchase this within the first year of your warranty where as AppleCare+ has to be bought within the first 30 days. Is it still possible to get the original AppleCare product for iPad from Apple if you are past your 30 days? I noticed some other retailers (e.g. Argos) still seem to sell it but will Apple honour these now?

2. When looking at the terms and conditions for the AppleCare+ product for iPad in the UK it says: "AppleCare+ does not cover you for failures due to defects in design, materials, or workmanship. Such failures may be covered by your rights under consumer law or by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty". Does this mean if some element of your iPad (apart from the battery) were to fail due to some defect in your second year that your AppleCare+ product wouldn't actually cover you? If you bought your iPad from some other retailer apart from Apple would you then have to go chasing them to get the problem looked at under UK consumer law?

It seems like to me Apple is reacting to the various UK/EU issues around warranty cover and if I'm reading the terms correctly it sounds like AppleCare+ is really only offering phone support, accident cover, and battery failure and not any other failures? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

2. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Hmmm. I should have looked more at those terms and conditions. Most of my faults with apple products have been because of design defects.

I don't think you can get applecare original anymore. As for design/manufacturing defects, if is defective at the time of purchase then you are covered for 6 years...but you have to prove it was faulty at the time of purchase. :(
    I think if my iPad breaks after 12 months, it may have an accident...

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Basically what there saying is things like chips in the anodising etc through wear and tear won't be covered which is to be expected

4. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

What about failed screens?

5. rcw2012 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that's what I thought at first but I am not so sure as they have a separate clause that covers that:

"AppleCare+ does not cover your iPhone, iPad or iPod for loss or theft, wear and tear, or for cosmetic damage which does not affect the functioning of the device (see clause 5.1)."

And separately they make it clear in several places it does not cover "failures due to defects in design, materials or workmanship."

Indeed in the definition of what hardware coverage includes they say it only includes "the cover providing for repair or replacement of Your Covered Equipment due to events of Accidental Damage and Battery Depletion."

So unless the technical phone support somehow includes getting replacements for say screen/button failures (for example) I am not sure if that is covered.

I guess if you got your iPad from Apple themselves and they will meet the EU/UK consumer laws then your fine. Not sure about those who bought from elsewhere though...

6. rcw2012 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so for anyone interested I found the page on Apple's UK website where you can check your warranty status and you still have the option to purchase the original AppleCare product to extend the telephone support and warranty to 2 years. It specifically states that this does cover defects in materials and workmanship.

So at least that's still an option. Still not really sure if the AppleCare+ includes this or not... :)

7. OzyOly, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

OzyOly macrumors 6502a

What? Where? You could save me a trip to Leeds tomorrow if this is true...

Edit - We are definitely getting screwed. The USA AppleCare+ covers faults with the product for 2 years and accidental damage. The Uk AppleCare+ only covers accidental damage. So basically it's insurance, NOT extended warranty. They are very unclear about this on their website which I'd argue is miss-selling the insurance.

8. rcw2012 thread starter macrumors member

Funny I'm from Leeds too...Yeah the website is very unclear because in some places it does sound like its included but the actual key benefits and terms and conditions documents seem to make it clear it's not for AppleCare+ so who knows!

Try this link to check your warranty status and if you enter your serial number it should give you the option to get the original AppleCare product (you may need to be beyond the 30 days from purchase to get it):

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

I've actually ordered AppleCare from Amazon as it's a good bit cheaper than what Apple charge....

9. rcw2012 thread starter macrumors member

Ok sorry either of those links should work and show the right options (with AppleCare option) as long as your signed in with your Apple ID.

10. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Nope, neither work for me. Was this for an iPad Air or iPad rMini at all?

And when I say they don't work, I mean they only offer the option of AppleCare+.

11. rcw2012 thread starter macrumors member

It was for an iPad Air but I got it on Nov 1st so I am now past the 30 days where I could have got AppleCare+. It therefore now shows I can get the original AppleCare which doesn't have the accident insurance but does have the extended warranty cover.

12. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I might wait until next month to try it then, thanks.

13. rcw2012 thread starter macrumors member

No probs. I'd say once you go beyond the 30 days and therefore can't get AppleCare+ anymore you should see it change to AppleCare.

Despite the terms and conditions and key benefits documents I still feel AppleCare+ probably does include the extended warranty cover but its certainly not very clear.

14. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

In the UK AppleCare only needs to cover accidental damage as consumer law covers the warranty. EU law provides cover fo 2 years but UK law allows up 5 years depending on the issue. Apple go to some lengths on the uk AppleCare site to publish what your consumer rights are and are careful not to duplicate their offering.

15. rcw2012 thread starter macrumors member

Agreed and if you bought your device from Apple then I think you'll be fine as I've heard they will comply with EU/UK consumer laws no problem. However I believe that the laws apply to the retailer not the manufacturer so if you bought from another UK retailer then you'd need to argue with them to meet those laws (assuming they don't automatically provide extended warranty like say John Lewis). So depending on the retailer this could be a lot of hassle. The AppleCare (possibly not AppleCare+) extended warranty means you could avoid this "hassle". That's my take on it anyway...

16. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

That's only if the item is faulty at the time of purchase, not if it develops a fault within those 5 years. The UK only covers you for 1 year from faults...unless some new consumer law has passed through the house of lords.

17. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Under UK law, buyers in England and Wales can get a partial refund or full repair up to six years after the purchase was made (five years from discovery in Scotland). The refund should take into account how much use the customer has already had of a product. Ultimately, a county court would decide this.
    However, the likelihood of getting such a refund is dramatically reduced after just six months. The reason is that for six months after the purchase, it is up to the retailer to show that a fault on an item is down to the actions or misuse of the buyer, rather than an inherent fault in the product.
    After six months, the burden of proof switches to the buyer and it is they who must then show a fault is due to some inherent problem, something that can be almost impossible in all but the most straightforward cases.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html#ixzz2mnfFy6Po
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

18. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Everyone spurts the SOGA as a miracle - yet hardly anybody has successfully managed to use it - and doing so often means going to court. Plus, you have to prove that the fault was there when you bought it. If your screen breaks after 2 years, but was not defective at the time of purchase, you have no recourse under the SOGA. Also - the SOGA is with the retailer. If you bought it from Apple online, Apple stores have no legal obligation - and vice versa if you bought from a store. If you bought it from anywhere other than Apple, Apple has no liability whatsoever.

Back on topic, the AC+ plan covers the following for 2 years from the date of purchase - both accessories and the device itself are covered:

- Hardware defects arising through manufacturing defects
    - Failed batteries
    - Batteries holding less than 50% of their original charge
    - Broken screens* / Single Hairline cracks
    - Hardware problems due to accidental damage*
    - Liquid damage*
    - Cosmetic damage*

It excludes:
    - Any damage which has been caused on purpose
    - Servicing any devices on which the owner cannot turn off Find My iPhone
    - Biohazard damage (e.g. vomit damage, dropped down "full" toilet, etc)
    - Damaged caused by tampering with/opening the device

* Excess applies

19. rcw2012 thread starter macrumors member

Just to let you know I received the AppleCare iPad plan I ordered from Amazon today and registered it no problem. So now have cover through until Nov 2015. Half price on Amazon so much cheaper.

Cheers.