AppleCare for iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MichaelAndaz, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MichaelAndaz macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if AppleCare for the iPad mini will be cheaper than the full size iPad?

I mean £69 for AppleCare on an iPad that costs £269 compared to £69 against an iPad that costs £399.

I was hoping they would do something like the MacBook Pros where it is £199 for the 13" and £279 for the more expensive 15" model.

Thoughts?

2. dcdjason macrumors newbie

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I didn't buy it. Does it still have a $50 deductible? Because then you are nearly paying half of the purchase price to replace it. I guess maybe if you bought the 32/64GB LTE version it might be ok, but definitely not for 16GB Wifi.

4. JodyK, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Was about to start a thread on what a rip off this is ... I just bought AppleCare + for my full price 64GB iPhone 5 ($850 I think it was ??) and AppleCare was $99.

Now Apple wants to charge $99 for the same coverage for a $329 iPad mini??? They are out of their minds! Bet they adjust that in some way by dropping the price or doing away with the deductible.

5. fsumom macrumors regular

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

yes it has the deductible

You are assuming that the cost of replacement will be 50% of the retail price but that could be wrong. Even so, $49 compared to say $160 is still a better deal. Particularly when, at least in the US, you get a second year of the warranty which covers defects even if they were not present at delivery or can't be proven as such, by Apple even if they didn't sell it to you (as required by those consumer laws folks keep shooting about) AND two years of unlimited telephone support. well some folks find that more than worth it. particularly when the rumored BOM on the Mini is $220 making a $250 replacement cost very likely

7. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

You say $49 is better than paying $160 but AppleCare is $99 putting a replacement cost at $148 say vs $160.

I often buy AppleCare and have used it quite a bit but in this case I feel it's a straight up rip off!

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

And you are getting more for your money with that $99 than just a discount on damage replacements. That is the part folks (yourself included) forget.

But hey it's a rip off, so don't buy it. Hope you don't drop your iPad. Or have it suddenly stop working after 14 months. Cause then you'll be ripped off by the $200+ replacement cost you'll likely have to pay

9. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

You are making assumptions ... 1st one is that you will have to use the AppleCare plus that's what your counting on ... Most don't have too. 2nd that I will have the thing in 14 months. I buy each new iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro at launch.

AppleCare for the extra time means zero to me. It's the accidental replace coverage on the iOS devices that have value to me.

10. urkel macrumors 68030

$329 - iPad Mini 16GB
    $399 - iPhone 5 64GB unsubsidized (Phone value $849)
    $829 - iPad 4 64GB ATT

$99 - AppleCare+ for ALL models

HUH?!?! I have kids so I have to buy it, but it is weird that there is a standard $99 price for such a wide price range of prices. Especially with the $329 Mini because $99AC+ and a $50deductible = $150 which is nearly half the cost of the device.

11. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Thanks for making my point ... But under iPhone 5 $399 you have unsubsidized think you meant subsidized price ... The $849 is the Unsubsidized $$ which is how I bought mine.