Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samk8000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
toronto, ontario
I ordered my new 32gb, black iPad 3 on the day it was released along with the applecare+ warranty. I am wondering whether apple will repair scratches as part of 'accidental damage from handling of your iPad'. Can anybody help me?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
if you look at the full terms of applecare+, it explicitly states that it does not cover cosmetic damage (including scratches).

4. What is not Covered?

4.2 Hardware Coverage and ADH Coverage

The Plan does not apply to:
(v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment, including but not limited to scratches and dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered Equipment;​

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
For a $50 deductible yes they will repair scratches, but with your iPad being so new they might just give you a new one anyway.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Ummmm, no. Please read the AppleCare terms.
(iii) up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling of your iPad, each incident being subject to a $49 service fee.

Yes, think about it a little. If they really want a new one they can always make something happen to the iPad.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
(iii) up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling of your iPad, each incident being subject to a $49 service fee.

"Accidental Damage from Handling coverage does not include (a) protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement, reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the Covered iPad..."

http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/applecareplusforipad.html

Yes, think about it a little. If they really want a new one they can always make something happen to the iPad.

Oh, so now we are advocating insurance fraud? Geeeez louise guys, where does it end? :(

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
"Accidental Damage from Handling coverage does not include (a) protection against normal wear and tear, theft, misplacement, reckless, abusive, willful or intentional conduct associated with handling and use of the Covered iPad..."

Oh, so now we are advocating insurance fraud? Geeeez louise guys, where does it end? :(

What happens if they accidentally drop it in the ocean while on vacation?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

intentionally breaking an ipad to pay $50 for a replacement (and thereby giving yourself just one more covered accident) because of a couple scratches is just insane. if the op was going to be that silly, he might as well just return the ipad he has and buy another.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
So what does it cover? Haha

"ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered iPad as intended for such Covered iPad."

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010

LOL, I never said I would do it... Only that it was technically possible.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
What happens if they accidentally drop it in the ocean while on vacation?

You need to give Apple the broken/damaged iPad for them to cover it. You'll have to get your scuba gear and retrieve your iPad from the bottom of the ocean...

----------

LOL, I never said I would do it... Only that it was technically possible.

Riiiiiiight..... :rolleyes:

----------

intentionally breaking an ipad to pay $50 for a replacement (and thereby giving yourself just one more covered accident) because of a couple scratches is just insane. if the op was going to be that silly, he might as well just return the ipad he has and buy another.

Agreed. But given some of the posts I read it wouldn't surprise me... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.