iPad Applecare for iPad worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Liquinn, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Is it worth me buying Applecare for my iPad and Macbook Pro?

Pros and the cons please?

Thanks.

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

It depends on you, if you are a technical person, do not worry.
    Pros is you will be treated like a king(sometimes) in the apple store should something goes wrong and their service is top class.
    Cons is you are paying for their service, for ipad (2 years) for macbook pro (3years) from purchase date,
    will something goes wrong ? I doubt.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, the peace of mind knowing that problems will be fixed by Apple makes it well worth the price. I have never used Apple Care for my MBP, but I have used it a couple of times for my 20" iMac.

4. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Well, I know what you me. 200 pounds is quite a lot of money towards a new Mac and if nothing does go wrong then I've wasted my money - I guess the Applecare would help with resale though?

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've always had it for my iPhones and iPads. I've never used it for my iPad, but an insane 3 times for my iPhones (all for different hardware failures).

In general, I think any device that you carry around with you and that could be dropped, exposed to moisture, heat, and have buttons that are frequently pressed are good candidates for coverage.

Lately, its been my experience that if you have Applecare -- its as easy as pie to get a replacement.

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

Like any other insurance, if you never use it then you feel like a sucker but if you need it it's worth twice the price.

I have a 2006 15" MBP that had a blown video card and then later a failed optical drive. Applecare was worth every penny.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Applecare is a must on anything I purchase Apple. It is like buying a car. Not everyone of them built is perfect. For the peace of mind, purchase it. I have only ever had to use it for one iMac I bought, but it would have cost me as much to buy a new machine as to repair my iMac (which was eventually replaced by Apple). And it was less than 2 years old. Applecare paid for itself many times over on that occasion. Just my experience.

8. TaylorMatsu macrumors member

I've bought AppleCare+ for all of my apple devices [(black iPhone 5 64gb, black ipad mini 32gb, refurb white ipad 3 64gb, black ipad 4 64gb, and my retina MBP) I've sold some of those and the purchases were spread out]
    I would rather pay an up front fee ($100 for ipad/iPhone or $350 for my Mac) instead of the full cost of the device should it break. My rMBP was $3500 after tax and AppleCare, there's no way I can pay that again if it were to break. The same goes for my phone and ipad, a new iPhone 5 64gb out of contract is $800. A new ipad is the same

You may not need it throughout the life of the device, but the peace of mind knowing its there IF you need it is definitely worth the price, if not more.

9. Almy macrumors 6502

I always get AppleCare for damages at the least. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend money on that then some protective case. I use my devices without worry.

10. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I'd rather have it, and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. ;)

11. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I op'd to get a protection plan through the store I bought it from (Futureshop) for almost the equivalent price I get 2 accidental full replacements at any Futureshop any time and all the other extra's I forget about, with the plan.
    With Applecare I'm pretty sure they cover these things, but for the 2 accidents, it's 50$ each..

12. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

put it on an AMEX for 2nd year warranty for free

13. Bear macrumors G3

Remember for the iPad, it's AppleCare+ which includes accidental damage coverage (check the Apple web site for exact details) - that could make it worth it.

As for the MacBoook Pro, it's a bit like gambling - will you never have a problem in 3 years? or will something happen after one year that will cost more than AppleCare does to fix it. In over 10 years of buying Apple products, on average I'm way ahead of what I spent on AppleCare.

I'm not sure I would get AppleCare on the base iPod Touch or base Mac Mini because it's too large a percentage of the purchase price.

14. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I buy it on the laptops and the iMac, but I don't get it on the portable devices. I rely on the computers to work and can't afford to replace them. The iDevices are not so critical, and I can afford to replace them most times. Remember, the OOW replacement cost is around $200. I've had iPhones since the beginning. I've never purchased a warranty through 4 phones and I've only paid the $200 once.

15. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

$249 for a $2,200 MBP is a better deal than $99 for a $499 iPad

for the smaller iOS devices, just put it on an AMEX and get the 2nd year warranty for free. coworker had an iPad 3 and accidentally left it in his carry on bag outer pocket when they gate checked his rollaboard (damn ERJ express jets can't fit anything in the overheads). anyways when he landed his screen was smashed. he called up AMEX and told them the problem. within 2 business days he had a credit on his account for the full purchase price of the iPad. he flipped the broken iPad on eBay for $180 and used the full credit + $180 towards upgrading to a higher capacity iPad 4

LOL

don't bother with AppleCare+. just put it in on an AMEX

16. cardfan macrumors 65816

Yep, Applecare is usually a waste as are most warranties. You already get one year when most problems occur.

As for the insurance portion of applecare, just use the OOW repair prices Apple already offers if something ever happens that's your fault.

If getting the laptop, I'm not sure I'd waste money on a warranty either. For dell laptops, it was usually necessary to do so.

There's peace and mind but then there's reality. Most times you don't use these warranties and companies know that. If you're thinking about it, just put the money in a savings account or something. Call it your repairs budget.

17. Gator Bob macrumors regular

Exactly! i do that with every one-year warranted product.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

But you still only get 90 days coverage for damage.

19. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

that's what AMEX says in writing, but they are very well known for providing coverage even during accidental damage situations. read about my coworkers experience above in my prior post

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

So the part in "writing" doesn't matter and we should all just take it on faith that they'll replaced a damaged device in month 23?

My anecdotal can match your anecdotal. A coworkers iPhone went through a wash and dry cycle and was unusable. It was about 2 weeks past the 90 days and AMEX denied the claim outright (this happened late last year).

21. makotoisle macrumors 6502

On a mobile device, I would not. Remember, you have to pay for Apple Care plus a deductible each time you bring it in. I've never had Apple Care on my 6 iDevices and never had a problem- if I had bought Apple Care every time, that would have been $600!! Personally, I figure even if I had to do an OOW replacement tomorrow, I'd still be ahead.

For a computer, eh, that I'm unsure. What I can say is that I feel like we're paying a premium price for premium hardware, so I hate the idea of paying for an additional warranty. What's the point of premium hardware if it requires just as much service as regular stuff??

22. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

well it sounds like your coworker is a perfect match for AppleCare+ then, so i suggest he/she buys it

----------

the deductible is only if it's broken due to accidental damage

23. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

Turns out to be more than worth it for me... LOL. I dropped my iPad 4 back in January and the glass smashed up real good. I did NOT have AppleCare, but for some reason the "out of warranty" replacement wound up costing me far less than I expected it to, so when asked if I wanted AppleCare on it, I said yes.

Sadly, I butterfingered the NEW iPad 4 just this past week. I was thankful for the AppleCare and jaunted down to the store for the replacement.

Strangely, the replacement did not trigger a charge and the rep. told me that it also didn't count against my two replacements. Considering I've dropped two in basically two months... I was glad to hear it. Even still, the $40 would have been a small price to pay, considering.

24. MacSince'85 macrumors member

Dropped two times already?!?!?

You might want to consider one of these:
    http://www.medgestore.com/products/ipad2-supershell.psp?device=ipad4

25. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I would recommend, if possible get a local store plan. For example I got a protection plan with Futureshop with 2 accidents or manufacturer problems, whatever for 2 years, for free at any Futureshop no questions asked.
    Similarly with my iPhone. I think it's a better deal over Apple care because where you do get 2 accidents, they cost you 50$ each and you have to ship it off and so forth.