All iPads Applecare+ for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ryox, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

What is the general consensus about AppleCare+ for iPad?

Do you think its worth £79?

2. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Your call. I have had it on past iPads and never used it. This time I will get it again because I am going with the 128GB LTE Air. $150 for a replacement if damaged would be worth the cost. Not so much if you were getting a 16GB Wifi Mini.

3. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

For me, yes. Others may not think so. Its up to you.

I'd rather have it, and not need it than need it, and not have it. Just in case that one eventful accident, and bingo, I'll need it. Others will put a nice protective case on it, and that's it. Using it around the house without animals, and kids, than you might not need it. Again, up to you

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

On iPhones and higher priced iPads, definitely worth it. $300 Mini, not so much.

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I'm dropping $730 on an LTE 32GB iPad Air, to break that thing and repay that cost is out of the question

6. M87 macrumors 65816

AppleCare+ makes total sense for an iPhone, but none for an iPad IMO. Maybe if you're really clumsy, careless or let a young child use the device I guess.

7. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

But if you break it you generally can take it in to Apple and pay $299 to swap it out. That has been my experience.

For a higher priced iPad I do think it makes sense because you are risking $100+potentially a $49 deductible to save $299 if it breaks. iPhones just don't make sense to me anymore since the swap fee is more like $249 and they upped the deductible to $79. So $179 to save $70?? Nope.

8. rui no onna, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

People seem to be forgetting that AppleCare+ isn't just for accidental damage. It also extends manufacturer's warranty for an extra year. The device could fail through no fault of your own after the first year. You only pay the deductible if you break it. If not, then you get a replacement device at no additional charge.

9. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

Not going to this time since I will definitely be getting the next one with touch id, and then I'll get it.

10. Ryox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Well i'll just take the plunge with applecare+ since I'm going to get the 128GB Air, 3 year warranty plus accidental damage cover seems like a good deal.

Thanks for your input!

11. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

didn't think of that, you might have saved me some money

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That's only 2 years for iPhone and iPad. I think it's the Macs that get 3 years.

13. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

Don't forget that some credit cards automatically double the manufacturer's warranty for free and provide accidental damage coverage as well. Something to consider...why pay extra when you don't have to?

On the other hand, you can never have too much insurance;).

14. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

I won't leave the store without buying AppleCare+. Although I hope I never need it, for this amount of an investment, I'd rather have it for peace of mind.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yep. MasterCard and American Express. Discover, too, last I checked. I do wonder how that works for subsidized devices such as phones, though.

16. zaxdude macrumors 6502

I recently made a claim with Amex on my 64GB iPhone 5. They credited in full my Amex account the amount I actually paid -- 399 + tax.

17. Ryox, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

Ryox thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Oh, yes you're right!

"up to two years of additional hardware coverage" made it sound like 2 years additional to the standard one year in my head…

Hmm I probably will end up buying it, less appealing now though.

18. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

Be careful, not all cards are the same. Some Mastercards have the coverage, others don't; same with Visa. Call your card 1-800 number and ask them for details on coverage.

19. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Amex provides damage protection for 90 days. After that, Amex extends the manufacturer's warranty for an additional year. Which in this case, is not the same as Applecare +.

Damage coverage associated with certain credit cards is hit or miss. Those intending to use a card should check the statement of benefits for the card to be used. Global statements that this card and that card cover everything for x amount of time is inaccurate and a disservice to readers of this fine forum.

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Pretty sure MasterCard World and Visa Signature both offer it. I remember reading about it in the brochure they send with replacement credit cards.

21. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Yes, always get Applecare+ if you play on keeping that device as your primary one for 2 years. Anything less, totally not worth it.

22. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Question- if You don't have applecare and smash your ipad, how much would it cost to get the refurb they would give you with applecare? thanks

23. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  24. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Had a manufacturer defect on an out of warranty iPad 2 64GB Wi-Fi last year, cost to replace was around $300 with tax.

25. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

Accidental? I know of the extra year the CC gives, but didn't think they covered accidental.