AppleCare for iPad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saberav, Mar 10, 2011.

1. saberav macrumors newbie

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on getting the AppleCare extra coverage for their iPad/iPad2. The cost is $75 for 2 years of coverage. I purchased AppleCare for my MacBook Pro and it definitely helped out when i needed some repairs done. But is it worth it for the iPad?

2. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

Do you think you'll own it in a year? What do you think will go wrong with it in the 2nd year that wouldn't have gone wrong in the first? Personally, I wouldn't bother.

3. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Yes, I think it's worth it for the iPad, as this is a device which is very portable, one which may be leaving the house or being carried around the house from room to room, therefore a bit more vulnerable and susceptible than something such as an iMac which sits on the desk all the time.

I've always gotten Applecare for my Macs and my iOS devices and even though I haven't needed it (yet) for any iOS device it's still a matter of providing peace of mind......

4. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I'd say wait until the end of the first year to buy it. See how it goes and make the decision when it really matters. Within the first year, it's kind of pointless, the only real advantage is the bump from 90 days of tech support to a full two years. Nice to have on there for resell though as it does transfer to a new owner...

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Ditto. You can buy it on day 365 if you still own the iPad on that day.

6. saberav thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! Didn't know i could purchase the AppleCare up to the last day of the first year. I think thats the way i'm going to go.

7. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

Applecare doesn't cover the things that are made more likely because it's portable. Water damage? Nope. Accidental damage? Nope. Stolen by a jealous coworker? Nope. Left it in your seat on the train? Nope.

Laptops are more likely to have hard drive crashes, but with flash (and ssd on newer laptops, etc), that risk is gone. So really, you're left with heat/cold exposure, which probably wouldn't be covered either. AppleCare and the warranty are for manufacturing defects. If there are any, they'll probably show up in the first 90 days.

8. Saberj macrumors regular

Exactly. That's why I got SquareTrade's warranty instead. But it is a lot more expensive now that it was when I got my iPad.