AppleCare+ for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Apple Watch Now Covers Batteries That Retain Less Than 80% of Original Capacity

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has updated the terms of its AppleCare+ Protection Plan for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Apple Watch to cover batteries that retain less than 80% of their original capacity within the extended warranty period, whereas it previously covered batteries that retained less than 50% of their original capacity. The change applies to AppleCare+ purchased for iPhone, iPad, iPod and all Apple Watch models on April 10, 2015 or later.

[​IMG]

Apple will replace defective batteries that do not live up to the 80% specification free of charge as long as the device is within its AppleCare+ coverage period. Otherwise, the iPhone maker charges $79 for out-of-warranty battery service for all Apple Watch batteries that retain less than 80% of their original capacity per Apple's diagnostic testing, plus a $6.95 shipping charge if required.

The new battery terms of AppleCare+ for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Apple Watch:
    AppleCare+ for iPhone, iPad and iPod

AppleCare+ for iPhone extends the smartphone's warranty coverage to two years from the original date of purchase and provides up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage for a $79 service charge each time. Without AppleCare+, iPhone customers are covered by a limited one-year warranty and 90 days of complimentary phone support.

[​IMG]

AppleCare+ for iPad and iPod have the same terms and conditions, although the accidental damage service charges are $49 and $29 per incident respectively.

AppleCare+ for Apple Watch

Apple has designed the Apple Watch battery to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles, which gives the watch's battery a lifespan of about two-and-a-half to three years based on fully charging the wrist-worn device once per day. Apple Watch has all-day battery life of 18 hours on a single charge based on mixed usage, and lasts up to 72 hours in Power Reserve mode.

AppleCare+ extends an Apple Watch's warranty coverage to two years from the date of purchase for the Sport and Watch, and three years for Edition, and provides accidental damage coverage for up to two incidents. Without AppleCare+, purchases of the Apple Watch Sport and the stainless steel Apple Watch are covered by a limited one-year warranty and 90 days of complimentary phone support.

[​IMG]

AppleCare+ costs $49, $59 and $1,500 for the Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition models respectively, while accidental damage coverage is subject to an additional service charge of $69 for Sport, $79 for Watch and $1,000 for Edition. Apple also sells AppleCare+ combo plans for Apple Watch and iPhone for $149 (Sport and iPhone), $169 (Watch and iPhone) and $1,600 (Edition and iPhone).

Article Link: AppleCare+ for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Apple Watch Now Covers Batteries That Retain Less Than 80% of Original Capacity

2. kcamfork Suspended

They should have been doing this in the first place.

3. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

So if I break my sport watch AppleCare replaces it for $69?

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

They must know something about this to proactively change the terms. I'm thinking they've analyzed or predicted the wear and tear yields or the failure rate of their batteries and are making sure they don't get a huge "BatteryGate" backlash a year after the Watch has been on the market.

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Interesting they announce it 2 months after the watch release (so early adopters can't now buy it) .

6. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

It's retroactive, so everyone who bought AppleCare+ in the past 2 months will have this new, better warranty.

7. commander.data macrumors 65816

Just curious what the battery guarantee percentage is for iPhones and Macs with AppleCare?

8. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Anyone who pays $1,500 for two years of insurance for his watch is a fool.

I pity him.

9. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

And yet here we are, with no one who purchased yet even out of the base warranty. Why are you complaining again?

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

So, what you're saying is that you pity the fool?
    [​IMG]

11. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

most people who bought the $17K Watch Edition and then the $1,500 insurance likely know how to manage money better than you ever will, which gives them the spending power to drop that on a watch and not even care. they're the type of people who will probably buy the next one when that comes out too

if anything, i bet they pity someone like you who whines on a macrumors thread about how expensive it is

12. TMRJIJ, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015

TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

This makes me a little concerned about the watch battery since they are doing it now and not before.
    EDIT: Title changed to restore my confidence.

13. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

So, you have to BUY an extended warranty to get service on a battery DESIGNED to last 2.5-3 years should the battery fail before that? And Apple makes it sound like they are doing YOU a favor by selling you AppleCare...

14. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Batteries are one of the few technologies that are rarely covered under warranty beyond a certain timeframe (typically 1 year), due to how lithium technology works. Batteries will always deplete, regardless of usage. All manufacturers and all companies deem them to be consumable items.

Apple's updated warranty is actually a step in the right direction.

15. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Sounds like you've never bought anything in your life. EVERYTHING you buy now comes with the option to buy an extended, or improved warranty.

I went to best buy to buy a $10 video game and they offered to sell me an extended warranty on it for like $1.

16. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

this thing makes less sense every time I read about it. There should just be a 2.5 year warranty on the battery included. They said it would last 1,000 charges - just guarantee it.

17. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

So should everything else that's good, pure and noble. :rolleyes:

18. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Interesting. I pity people who continually make negative comments and reflexively up-vote other negative comments. They seem sad, cynical and unhappy to me.

19. DanielSw macrumors 6502

DanielSw

If I could (or when I can) afford an Edition, I'd certainly invest 10% more to extend its warranty. Not foolish at all in my estimation. And your pitiful sentiments would certainly be wasted on me.

20. DanielSw macrumors 6502

DanielSw

Well put.

21. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Actually, everything I've ever heard from any consumer shopping expert says NOT to buy the extended warranties. They are a waste of money. I purchase everything with CC's that extend my manufacturers warranty by a year FOR FREE, so it costs me nothing.

The difference, in my eyes, between any normal consumer device with batteries (like a notebook?) and this watch, is that every Apple watch runs 24 hours a day, and with that known, Apple designed the watch battery to last up to 3 years. A notebook user, for example may use their notebook on battery 100% of the time, and others may use it on battery only rarely, so each battery will have a different life. If an Apple watch battery was at 50% health after 14 months, I would be upset, when it should be at 80% for at least a couple years. But if I spend more money (in addition to an already overpriced watch), they will cover my battery? That's my point.

22. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

It's true: Apple warranties are very different instruments than other warranties by other companies. The inclusion of accidental damage (twice for $69) replacements is pretty astonishing (for the iPhone first, and now for watches). The latest 80% battery guarantee adds a great level of security to these purchases. Buy the warranty.

23. Ericus Macabeus macrumors member

I 100% agree on extended warranties.

AppleCare and AppleCare + are extended service agreements and not just warranty.

You can get tech support if needed, it covers expedited shipping, accidents with + and of course, warrenty extension.

AppleCare is one of the few extended coverages that consumer reports recommends because of this.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/05/computer-tech-support/index.htm

24. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I might suggest just the opposite. I'd say that their metrics are showing better than expected performance and now they can add it to Applecare+ with no real concern for paying out anymore than they already are. Besides, having to buy an extended warranty would not alleviate Apple from the backlash that would come from a realized bad battery problem.

Edit - And by bad battery problem I mean a pervasive failure rate that is beyond their 80% over 1000 cycles.

25. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Apple should offer AppleCare™ for Macintosh Portable and recondition and install new lead acid cells in their batteries! I've only found one service that does this, NiCd Lady in California, and it's a 5-6 week turnaround. Hard to find these batteries! And the Portable will not start without a working battery!

[​IMG]

Or...they could just sell new batteries altogether with new cells. They are getting to find on eBay these days, too!