Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleCare+ for Mac, previously limited to the United States and Japan, is available to purchase in Australia and New Zealand starting today.

applecare-mac-2018-800x288.jpg

AppleCare+ extends a Mac's in-warranty hardware coverage to up to three years from its original purchase date, and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of AU$149 or NZ$169 for screen or external enclosure damage, or AU$429 or NZ$499 for any other damage.

AppleCare+ for Mac also includes 24/7 priority access to software support by chat or phone. It replaces the AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac, which was essentially the same as AppleCare+, but didn't include accidental damage coverage like Apple has long offered for devices such as the iPhone and iPad.

The plan itself also has an upfront cost, which varies based on the type of Mac:

Australia
Mac mini: $119
iMac and iMac Pro: $199
12-inch MacBook: $299
MacBook Air: $299
Mac Pro: $299
13-inch MacBook Pro: $329
15-inch MacBook Pro: $449New Zealand
Mac mini: $149
iMac and iMac Pro: $249
12-inch MacBook: $349
MacBook Air: $349
Mac Pro: $349
13-inch MacBook Pro: $379
15-inch MacBook Pro: $539AppleCare+ for Mac benefits are in addition to any legal rights provided by consumer law in Australia and New Zealand.

Apple offers warranty coverage on most Mac parts for up to 24 months after its limited one-year warranty period, under consumer law in each country, according to an internal document distributed to Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers and obtained by MacRumors last month.

AppleCare+ can be purchased alongside a new Mac on Apple's website in Australia and New Zealand, at Apple retail stores in Australia, and at select Apple Authorized Resellers or Service Providers. It can also be added within 60 days of a Mac's purchase date, pending an inspection or diagnostic test.

Customers with a Mac purchased between December 1, 2017 and January 30, 2018 must contact Apple Support to purchase AppleCare+ for Mac, according to an internal memo distributed by Apple today and obtained by MacRumors.

Article Link: AppleCare+ for Mac Now Available in Australia and New Zealand

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Huh I already thought it was. Well my laptop is too old anyway but it’s nice to know for when I replace it.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I’m in Australia and have had AppleCare+ on my MacBook Pro for almost two years now...?

Nah. AppleCare+ includes accidental damage. You’ve just had standard AppleCare.

Also surprising to see this be released in Aus before the UK. AFAIK it’s still not available in Europe?

Reactions: Joe Rossignol

Xyth

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2018
Aotearoa
Complete waste of money.

AppleCare+ extends a Mac's in-warranty hardware coverage to up to three years from its original purchase date

No it doesn't, NZ consumer protection law does this. For free.

and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of AU$149 or NZ$169 for screen or external enclosure damage, or AU$429 or NZ$499 for any other damage.

This sentence isn't clear... do you have to pay the service fee even though you've purchased AppleCare? If so, what a scam.

AppleCare+ for Mac also includes 24/7 priority access to software support by chat or phone.

Nice to have, but not remotely worth the cost of AppleCare.

xplora

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Also removed is the ability to register old AppleCare Protection Plans (it's take you to purchase only).

[doublepost=1517457196][/doublepost]
Complete waste of money.

No it doesn't, NZ consumer protection law does this. For free.

This sentence isn't clear... do you have to pay the service fee even though you've purchased AppleCare? If so, what a scam.

Nice to have, but not remotely worth the cost of AppleCare.

Yes, but the same was true for the iPhone/iPad version. Still cheaper than buying a new computer.

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia

No it’s not. It’s like any insurance you pay a premium and an excess when you use it.

Look at it this way. Buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro pay $350-$500 for AppleCare+. Up end water on it, a child spills something or whatever.

You pay at most $800 there about for what could be a $5000 computer.

Like all insurance you’re paying for the IF something happens. I had AppleCare on my MacBook Pro I had a few issues over the 3 years. It was handy knowing I didn’t have to argue with Apple store employees or go though consumer law just because my computer was 2 years old and out of warranty.

Some people will pay for that convinence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.