Applecare for Mac Pro & ACD - quick question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ascender, Jan 30, 2009.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

I notice that the Applecare for mac pro covers an ACD connected to it if they were bought at the same time. Will that still cover both if one was bought from an Authorised Apple Reseller and the other was bought from Apple themselves?

I'm assuming so, but thought I should check anyway.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I thought they had to be on the same reciept.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, bought at the same time. AppleCare never even sees the receipt.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You just contradicted yourself.

If you buy both on the same order it is covered. If you bought at a shop it would be on the same receipt, if you bought online it would be on the same web order. If I e.g. buy a Mac and on the same day order an ACD online from an Apple dealer, it is not covered - you'll need to Applecare the monitor separately. In the OP's case it is possible it would be waived - but the OP should definitely check in with Applecare ASAP to make sure the situation is kosher, because it's a situation where Apple could easily say "Sorry bub, not covered".

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read your AppleCare Protection Plan Agreement:
    It does NOT say "on the same order".

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Oh I'm very familiar with Applecare T&C's having used it so often on utterly substandard Apple 'Pro' (hahahaha!) gear.

Semantics - issue of interpretation. Same time means to all intents and purposes the same order. Did the OP place the order for the Mac and display at the two vendors at exactly the same time? Or if he was buying in a shop, did he place the other web order at the same time or did he clone himself? Probably not. As I said, due to the circumstances Apple are more than likely to honour the Applecare if e.g. the purchases were made on the same day, but the OP will need to contact them to make sure.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

What is the time period on "at the same time" then? An hour? A day?

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, it actually does say that if you go one page further than that to the FAQs specific for the "AppleCare plan for the Mac" (as opposed to the iPod coverage FAQs, AppleTV coverage FAQs, etc.)- see http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html

That notes (in the quote at bottom) that the purchase must be made together, not just at the same time.

I was told the same thing before I purchased my Mac Pro online when I called AppleCare to inquire about that. I had hoped to get a CTO MP shipped to me and then get a 30" display purchased at the local Apple Store (to save the shipping costs) covered under the AppleCare I ordered with the MP but they made it clear that the two needed to be ordered together to benefit from the combined coverage. In the end, the shipping on the display was less than an individual $99 plan for the display alone, so I wound up combining the purchase.

Where the confusion may be coming from is that the networking and backup parts don't have the same "purchase together" restrictions as the display does.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Thanks for posting that clarification. Saved the thread turning far longer than necessary.

I would definitely say to the OP if he made the purchases on the same day (or even on an outside stretch, the same week) then to contact Applecare ASAP, or visit an Apple Store, to make the big pitiful eyes and get the monitor formally covered.

10. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks very much guys, I'll give Apple a call on Monday anyway.

11. the2j macrumors member

the2j

I bought my unibody MBP and apple care on the release date, but the 24 in LED wasn't available yet. I purchased them about 7 weeks apart then called apple care and told them the situation and the gladly added it to my apple care with no hesitation.