Applecare for macbook ater a couple years

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by moogle301, Nov 30, 2009.

1. moogle301 macrumors member

moogle301

I did a search but I'm terrible at locating threads generally. I'm getting a macbook so I've been in this section of the forum but I guess this perhaps should be in another section.. I can't figure out which :S

So in the UK you get 36 months free warranty as opposed to the normal year with HI discount. Applecare is £46. I was thinking of not getting applecare since I don't think I'll use phone support and have no idea if I will take my macbook abroad which seems the only things it is good for? I've never taken a laptop abroad before but after Uni (I'm in 3rd year) who knows.
    My question is.. can you get discounted applecare at any point while being a student? And could I get my brother to get it for me after I finish Uni? (He is in third year and won't ever want a mac himself I don't think).

So I could effectively just get the free warranty and then when that is nearly run out pay £46 for 3 years applecare? Getting 6 years for under £50, or does applecare not work like that?
    Sorry if I explained badly.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

AppleCare only lasts until the end of the third year from the date of purchase of your computer regardless of when you buy AppleCare. You have until the end of the first year to purchase it after which you cannot.

In your case I would say its pointless.

3. moogle301 thread starter macrumors member

moogle301

Oh thank you :) that's very helpful. I don't think I will buy it then. It does seem odd that you can't buy it after the first year though, you think they'd make more money that way and would be annoying if I decide to go away abroad after all. But I doubt I will.. Plus, I'd have decided if I was going to within a year I think

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My reasoning as to why this is is that people who would buy it after the first year are more likely to have issues that would be expensive to fix thus eating into the profits that AppleCare generates.

5. moogle301 thread starter macrumors member

moogle301

Yeah I see how the longer you have a laptop the more likely it is to break makes sense, but if applecare was the same price and ended after 3 years of buying a macbook no matter when you got it surely they would have to make less repairs?

also.. is my avatar showing up? it doesn't seem to be here.. on my profile maybe it is?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No because then no one would buy AppleCare after the first year until their computer had an issue. So if the motherboard breaks and you don't have warranty, you can't just go AppleCare for 50 quid instead of the say 500 for the out of warranty repair.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=90468

7. flipshot macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is possible to get AppleCare at the student price unless you buy it at the same time as buying a Mac. If you try buying it afterwards you have to pay full price even if you are still within a year of purchase.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The solution to this would be a one month delay between registering AC and warranty taking effect if the computer is out of warranty when you purchase AC.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Doesn't really provide a solution though as someone could just let the broken computer sit for a month and then have it repaired under warranty. I am sure Apple has thought through all the angles to ensure profit is maximized in all instances.