Applecare for Macbook - Ebay for cheap?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thesmoth, Apr 18, 2009.

1. thesmoth macrumors 6502

I know this has been talked about before and i've read old threads, but I wanted to make a new one to ask a specific question to everyone. People have questioned whether this is legitimate to get applecare at less than half the price, and whether it will be allow by apple, etc... Everyone has just said that it worked for them and that when they called to activate they worked out fine, so why bother asking and kicking up a fuss :)

My problem with that is partially due to the fake itunes gift cards that work, but are fake. So what happens if I buy this expensive laptop, pay for applecare on ebay and save $100, but then 2 years down the road apple figures out that a certain few thousand applecare ID's were fake (the ones sold on ebay) and then all of those warranties will be void. So then I have a faulty logic board and they won't honor my waranty so i'm out $1000 bucks to repair it. I'd rather pay the extra $100 and get a legit applecare for apple and have guaranteed waranty service for 3 years than save $100 and gamble. Having said that I am a poor student and so saving $100 would be very nice.

So here are the questions.

1) Have you bought apple care off of ebay?

2) Did it work, and if so how long have you had it for?

3) Has anyone tried calling apple to confirm if these cheap ebay sales are legit?

4) If apple regulates their prices very tightly on all of their products, how can someone possibly sell applecare for ~$100-150 when it retails at $250?

2. squaros macrumors member

squaros

I bought applecare on eBay about 2 months ago and I received the original retail packaging. It was roughly $170 for MBP coverage and everything seems legit. I don't think you have anything to worry about but if you are concerned, buy it from Apple.

3. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think most of them send out the box, they just give the the code to give to the apple people.

4. bobriot macrumors member

I have bought three applecare products off of ebay all for less than 50% of the retail price. You get the code emailed to you and you register it in the normal way. Apple then send you a certificate through the mail to validate the warranty period. This can be a huge saving on the cost of the applecare plan.

But note...

Not many ebay sellers will provide an invoice which means that you cannot cancel the applecare plan and receive a partial refund. But if your intention is to keep the product for the three years then this is not an issue.

I have telephoned apple and the applecare plans are real (at least the three I bought were) also I have already had a repair on my macbook using the applecare with no problems.

As always check that the seller has a good rating and has sold lots of applecare products before with god feedback.

In answer to your last question it's the currency market that the sellers are playing, I was told this by the applecare rep I spoke to.

If your interested I will look back through my purchase history for the sellers names.

Bob

5. fk51785 macrumors regular

I bought applecare for my ipod and acd.
    both serial code was valid,
    and had no problem getting my ipod repaired few weeks ago.