Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livewhereveryouwant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
hi guys,

I have decided to get the Macbook Pro 2017 15 inch, 512GB, 560 dGPU w 4GB VRam.
I am confused with the AppleCare coverage especially when it comes to the infamous Keyboard

1. Does the 1-year standard warranty cover the butterfly keyboard problem in case it stops working when it's within the first year? Or is it only cover by AppleCare? meaning I have to buy AppleCare from the very beginning when I purchased my macbook pro?

(Ideally I want to get the apple care only 1 day before my first year standard warranty expired?)

2. I know the repair / support service from Apple is international, but just to be sure, does this apply to the 1-year stand warranty or just Apple Care? (I will buy the macbook pro in Asia, but actually staying most of the time in Europe)

3. Since AppleCare can be purchased online, does it matter where I buy it? Does it has to be from the same country where I bought my Macbook pro? (eg. if I bought my MBP from Singapore, is it a must that the applecare can be purcahsed from Singapore Apple website later?)

4. is it true that the 2017 MBP keyboard has a lower failure rate than the original 2016 MBP?

many Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.