Applecare for MacBooks does not cover accidents

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macguy360, Mar 15, 2015.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

If you think that there is even the slightest chance that the power cord could get tripped on and yanked, you should not buy the macbook. The first time someone trips on the power cord, the usb-c cable could bend inside the port and damage the only way of charging the computer rendering it unusable. That is why Apple designed the magsafe chargers for all other MacBooks.

If you damage your charging port, Apple will not repair your macbook for free even if you paid $200 for Applecare. You will be completely out of luck.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It has been well known for years that AppleCare does not cover damage from accidents. Only AppleCare+ does that, and it's not available for Macs.

Millions of people have been buying and using notebooks without accidents for many years without having MagSafe adapters, and they will continue to do so. There is nothing wrong with buying the new MacBook with the USB-C connector. There are also other ways of protecting against accidents, such as homeowner's insurance and credit card protection.

3. willydimes macrumors regular

it never has covered accidents. battery life is good enough now a days where you don't need to be plugged in ever 4 hours. Use it then when done charge it in place where cant be tripped over. If you need to use it and charge at same time, i have a crazy thought. be careful lol

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

good to know there's an important reason to not buy the macbook. thanks for this important thread.

here's what i will do: use the mb at my desk plugged into AC (with the cable out of the way). use the macbook on it's battery most other places.

there's a choice, always. you can plan for the situation (ie, not stretch the AC cable across the room). good thing to do with tvs, computers, toasters...

OR buy a different mac. or a PC. or a really long extension cord.

5. newellj macrumors 603

I've done some experiments this weekend with a pair of 11" MBAs. They're .38 pounds heavier than the rMB and they're light enough that MagSafe doesn't reliable disconnect. With a two pound rMB it probably would be false security. The computer would simply stay stuck to the cord and hit the floor.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

AppleCare is a warranty, not an insurance policy.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Anyone else miss the "down vote" this is just another pointless post regarding the new "MacBook" if you don't like it don't buy it, nothings going to change by all this continuous wining on forums. Certainly it wont change what Apple thinks, nor what Apple does.

Aside my own concerns positive and negative, same as the MackBook Pro, MacBook Air, the new Macbook will evolve over time. The first Air was near unusable, the 15" Pro`s had and still do have questionable cooling, and a track record for dGPU reliability that`s very far from what one would expect. The stark reality is without any real world reviews none of us have any idea how well this platform will perform. Yes the new MacBook wont be challenging your maxed out 15" Retina MacBook Pro, equally it might just be good enough for what it`s intended...

It`s been a significant time since Apple released a new portable so expectations are literally stratospheric across the community who have been patiently waiting for the release, however for many the new "MacBook" is far off the mark, as their personal expectations are simply unrealistic, versus Apple`s direction for this Notebook.

Seriously it`s just boring...

Q-6

8. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

This. I don't know of any laptop guarantee (or extended guarantee) that covers accidents and people tripping over charging cables.

To be fair, it's a rare thing that tripping would result in the cable pulling straight. On the Air, if you pull slightly front or back, it disconnects like a charm. But then, people are always bitching about it not being strong enough. Can't have everything, eh.

9. Elise macrumors 6502

It makes you wonder how those with windows laptops get on, they must be continually damaging their laptops eh...

10. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

Perhaps his intentions are spiteful (though I don't think so), but it's honestly helpful advice. Because someone might be worried about this... An argument I've heard often on here: Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it works for me.

For example, don't believe me that it's a valid concern? Look @Fisherking's post.

11. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, breaking dc jacks is a common occurrence. You could have figured that out if you had done a simple google search when story after story shows up of people having their dc jack break due to someone tripping on it. Here are just a few stories from the top of the google search.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-tripped-on-a-laptop-cord-at-my-university-librar-1285848.html

http://www.instructables.com/id/Replace-broken-DC-power-jack-on-your-laptop-comput/

http://www.instructables.com/answers/How-can-I-charge-laptop-battery-when-DC-jack-is-br/

http://www.techimo.com/forum/general-tech-discussion/228156-tripping-laptop-power-cords.html

But of course because you simply go online and spout off nonsense that must make it correct. There is a reason why Apple invented the magsafe plug to begin with. Obviously it was a problem before, otherwise they wouldn't have invested money in inventing the magsafe power cord.

In your defense maybe people just all the sudden started getting better at not tripping over power cords. Its 2015, who trips on power cords anymore? Thats 1990's stuff.

And by the way, my OP was sincere. This is something that should be considered when investing in a $1400 after tax laptop.

12. Elise macrumors 6502

Oh dear do try and calm down. :rolleyes:

Yes it's a fairly novel idea but if you're going to spend that much money on a laptop, being careful would be a start.

Oh and re the Apple Care, yeah thanks for popping in to let folks know....

13. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol, you got called out for complete ignorance and this is your response?

Did you even take a second to look at the first link of all the links i posted? It is a post of someone who actually tripped on someone else's laptop cord and is now being held liable for damages to their laptop.

You could be careful all you want, but if you have ever been to a Starbucks, library or other public place, you surely have seen people with their laptop cords running from one table across a walkway to an outlet. You may have even done it yourself.

It would be the ultimate irony if you happen to purchase a new macbook and then this very thing happens to you. I'm not hoping for that, but it would still be ironic lol.

14. ct1211 macrumors 6502

Plus, they might release the thing with the same 12" cable the ship with phones and tablets - No one gonna trip on that!

15. noobinator macrumors 601

Watch where you are walking, seriously. It's not that hard.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

In my opinion, that's not being careful at all, that is looking for trouble

Personally, I have never had my power cord be a problem, but then again, what do I know, I didn't Google it, maybe it has been a problem for me in the past

17. Elise macrumors 6502

Ignorant? lol let me break this down a bit, I don't actually believe that windows laptop users don't ever break their ports, cause like that would be rather thick, it was a tongue in cheek remark that you took rather seriously. Point is they'll be many Windows users who don't break their ports in that way.

For me, if I buy it I wouldn't even be taking the charger out with me, charging will be done at home. Thanks for the concern though.

18. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well then this thread wasn't even meant for you. Seems really weird that you would devote so much time on this thread. By the way, if the subject matter was insignificant, there wouldn't be a 3 page thread on the fact that there isn't a magsafe connector on the new macbook.

And yes, your original post was ignorant. It is not other readers' jobs to figure out what you are thinking when you make a post. Only to take what you say as your opinion.

19. Elise macrumors 6502

It's called sarcasm. Seriously, pehaps the internet isn't the place for you if you get so easily offended.

Such a ridiculous over-reaction.

20. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand that you know how to use sarcasm. Good for you. It still doesn't explain why you let your thoughts fly out to the internet for everyone else to read before taking a second to consider whether they are factual.

Perhaps the internet is not for you.

21. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Well, your post was about Apple Care not covering accidents (duh), not about the increased risk of tripping on a power cord because there's no magsafe.

Now, I don't think this is enough reason to reconsider buying the laptop, unless you're the clumsy kind. Yes I would love to have an improved magsafe, but I'll just be careful - like I always am. Because laptop or not, I usually do my best not to trip on things, and so far I've never broken a laptop.

If people trip on their power cord and send a laptop flying, it's not Apple's fault, just like it's not Apple's fault if they sit on their iPad because they put it on a chair.

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, if you want to link to some articles on the subject, link to THE article on the subject.

http://www.macworld.com/article/289...-crash-to-the-ground-without-magsafe-yes.html

[​IMG]

23. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Of course Apple is not going to cover damage due to accidents. What product does that does not have a lifetime warranty? Are we this "entitled" we feel everything we purchase is suppose to be repaired for free???

If you drop your laptop it's not Apple's fault. It's also not Apple's fault if you spill coffee or a drink over the keyboard. Same goes for the power cord. I wouldn't expect Apple to be responsible for my accidents.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not as common as you want to lead people to believe.
    For every story about a user tripping on their cord and breaking the jack, there are thousands upon thousands of users who never experience that. The only difference is people aren't going to post online to say, "I didn't trip on my cord and break my computer".

25. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Absolutely, I have been working in environments where Notebooks are pretty much essential for decades, and have never seen or heard of anyone breaking the charging port.

No doubt it happens, equally so does a lot of other things, water spills etc. seems most popular recently...

Q-6