Applecare for MB or MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrMaverick, Mar 29, 2008.

1. MrMaverick macrumors newbie

Hi,

Wondering what people think of getting applecare on their Macs? I'm looking at upgrading very soon soon to either a MB or MBP and was wondering if it's worth an additional $250?

THanks.

2. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

ALWAYS get it. I used it at least once on every mac I had. MBP seem to be the worst. My battery was replaced, my superdrive was replaced, and my screen was replaced. (Not on the same machine)

I keep my laptop for about 2 years, and something always goes wrong after one year mark.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

For a laptop i'd highly suggest it. Suggest as in you dont have a choice. :)

I've already paid off AppleCare through repairs on my old Macbook Pro. Totally worth it.

4. Chibi Blondie macrumors newbie

everyone I know with a mac, has had some repairs done to them. I ordered an MBP on Thursday, got apple care to go with it...I suggest u do the same.

5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

you have until the end of the first year to get apple care right?
    and if so, does that mean that if for some reason it needs replacing you get it for free?

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I don't buy extended warranties for anything, except laptops. They break all the time and repairs are expensive. I have not had a good history of reliability with Apple either (but it's been worse with Dell).

Also, I bought my MBP last May and I just bought AppleCare for it yesterday.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Waste of money. I'd skip it unless you can't think of anything else to do with the cash.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's worth it about 8 months down the line. If no accidental damage has occurred, then it's a good time.

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

I wouldn't pay $350 for AppleCare for my MacBook Pro, but I did find it for about $200 on ebay so I did spring for that.

10. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Mine was $239 (as an educator).

11. bradbowl macrumors member

I have bought Applecare for my Rev. E Powerbook and my MBP. The powerbook needed a logic board and hard drive after 1.5 years which made the Applecare worth it. My MBP needed a new thermal assembly/fans, DVD drive and bottom casing. So I'm glad I bought it for that computer as well.

I bought mine off Ebay for $175 for the MBP. I would suggest looking there especially if you don't get a student/educator discount.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would like on eBay too, but of course if you're a student you don't want the hassle, you should just buy it from the store.

13. wesrk macrumors 6502a

It0s like 239 with the educational discount I think, so it is some what affordable