AppleCare for MBP question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boxxer, Jul 16, 2008.

1. boxxer macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I purchased by MBP off of Ebay NIB, from a user who is not an authorized reseller. So I have no warranty from the seller. The MBP came in great condition but I have no coverage in case something goes wrong.

Can I still purchase AppleCare to cover my MBP for the next 3 years?

Sorry if this is a rehashed question, I'm new to mac and this site.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Did you by any chance get the original purchase receipt when for the MBP from the eBay seller? That would make things easier.

3. Snowbound macrumors regular

The warranty (and applecare) are tied to the individual computer. Register the computer on apple's website and it will tell you how long is left on your apple 1 year warranty. If there is any time remaining on the one year warranty then you can still purchase and register applecare. Hope this helps.

4. boxxer thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I checked on Apple's website and it said that I am covered under Apple's Limited Warranty until June 09, 2009.
    It also said I could purchase applecare for my MBP. Looks like I am covered and I will absolutely pick up the AppleCare.

Sorry, for the questions, but when I first received the computer and tried to register it, I had to provide an original sales receipt from a authorized reseller, which I don't have. Do I still need to register it and how would I go about circumventing this? If at all.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

It sounds like you bought a used computer and it was already registered from the former user...

This may present a problem. You may need to get a letter from the seller that he has transferred/sold his computer to you so that you can get the warranty transferred to you. Then I think you can purchase the AppleCare.

Again, I'm not sure of this, but you can call the Apple Store (online store) and ask them for advice.

6. PLin macrumors 6502

I've never heard of Apple requesting an original sales receipt to register a computer. I've bought used Mac's before, and I've always either registered at http://register.apple.com by entering the serial number or entered the registration info during the setup of the computer.

The only time you have to provide a proof of purchase is if you purchased from an authorized reseller and need Apple to correct the warranty end date.

7. boxxer thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to register again and this time it seemed to go through without being asked the question about the sales receipt.
    Maybe I was in the wrong place the last time I tried to register. :confused:

Do you usually receive an email stating that your mbp has been registered?

8. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I registered my macbook very easily over the phone without a receipt. They just asked for the original person's name and I even bet they did that just offhandedly.

9. PLin macrumors 6502

I did back in 2005 for a Power Mac G5, but I don't think I've received any registration confirmation emails in recent years. I do have one for my iPhone but not for any of my Macs for some reason.

10. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

When I registered over the phone, they sent me the diagnostic disk and receipt by mail.

11. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

They do I just checked my mail and I have a thank you email, last year they even gave you a 6 month subscription of macworld or maclife for registering, don't know if this is still going on.

Snapshot.

[​IMG]

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can't exactly be sure of that; original warranty starts the date of purchase, but if the computer is BNIB, it can considered a gift, so the originaly name would not apply.

No need for a letter; just tell the seller to go ask Apple for a gift receipt and mail that to you. It's like a regular receipt, except you can't return it.

They have no idea what they are doing half the time.

No it never asks you for the receipt. It only asks you for your Apple ID and S/N and then the S/N is attached to your name; like I said it doesn't matter who bought the thing.

Well actually it's a yes and not with the email. I registered a computer in March for the computer I bought on February 26th:
    [​IMG]

However for the recent computer from June 1st, I didn't get an email but I know AppleCare is there.