AppleCare for MBP- Student Pricing, or Ebay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anirban, May 27, 2008.

1. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hello all,

The standard warranty for my MBP expires this June 11, and I am considering purchasing AppleCare for it, to extend the warranty by two more years.

I can get education pricing on the AppleCare (240 bucks), but I was thinking if Ebay might have a better deal. The lowest price I've seen on Ebay is $220.

So what do you folks suggest- get it off ebay, or just get the education priced one?

Thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know, if you think saving $20 or so is worth the effort. (Store you pay tax, online you pay shipping).

Personally, I'd stick the store because you don't have to worry about fake items.

3. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Do you think I can do any better with the pricing on Ebay?

4. antibact1 macrumors 6502

I bought online from the LA Computer Company recently. It worked out to $245 and they emailed me the code so I didn't have to pay for shipping. The code activated immediately and I got a letter from Apple this week confirming the warranty. I would recommend them 100%. I'm in Canada and AppleCare up here is $399 so I saved a bundle.

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/

Edit - I see it's dropped to $235 now, damn, haha.

Edit 2 - I recommend them at $245 (or $235) because you won't have to pay tax as you are outside of California. Save a little versus the Apple Store where you pay tax regardless of where you are.

5. wozza macrumors newbie

I would go for the apple store directly, just seems a bit more legit to me, rather than buying from ebay.

I cant believe the amount it costs you is USA. Im in england and with my student discount the applecare was £58 which is about $115!!!

6. Tibbar macrumors member

I purchased MBP Apple Care on eBay for a discount of over $175 and registered it successfully. Buy from somebody who has lots of positive, relevant seller feedback (e.g. from selling computer hardware, not clothing).

An awesome way to check out a person's negative feedback is using www.toolhaus.org