AppleCare for MBP w/ nVidia?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kan-O-Z, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I have a SR Macbook Pro that I got close to about a year ago. Initially I wasn't going to get AppleCare but I am about 2 days away from the 1 year warranty to expire. I normally think these extended warranty type things are a waste because they really try to get your money and always seem to have a fine line where they can get out of replacing something or just not doing what you expect. The reports of nVidia video failure has gotten me worried. I normally don't buy extended warranties but I also don't want my video card to fail right after the warranty is up. Please let me know your opinions ASAP! I only have like 2 days to decide!

By the way would AppleCare replace my battery if it doesn't last as long as expected? I just got my battery replaced under the original warranty because it wasn't holding charge for more than 30-40 minutes and it wasn't over used or abused. Let me know.

Kan-O-Z

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My opinion is: buy AppleCare. You'll find opinions on both sides.

Neither the Apple Limited Warranty nor the AppleCare Protection Plan covers consumable parts such as batteries, except in the case of manufacturing defects.

Apple Limited Warranty:
    This warranty does not apply:
    (f) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship;

AppleCare Protection Plan:
    b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
    (ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials and workmanship;

3. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess if my video went bad, how much would it be to do a repair. If it's less than $300 then I'll take my chances and not do AppleCare. Let me know if you have any experience or have heard how Apple handle bad video cards in the MBPs.

Kan-O-Z

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

GPU replacements entail replacing the entire logic board as its not a detatchable module.

Your looking at about $1200 parts + labor, maybe a LITTLE less at an authorized repair tech.

Just extend your AppleCare.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd be surprised if any MBP out-of-warranty repair came back significantly cheaper than $300.

Also, FWIW, a lot of folks here grabbed AppleCare for their MBP from a reputable reseller on eBay for a lot less than Apple's $349 MSRP.

6. rolex54 macrumors 6502

i am pretty sure apple is charging $350 for a new motherboard
    that 1200 estimate is way off

7. Expired macrumors newbie

I would just get the AppleCare. It's definitely worth the peace-of-mind knowing that your MacBook Pro is covered if the GPU does fail or there are any other problems over the next two years.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Buy it for peace of mind, not for expecting your GPU to fail.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Advice Appreciated: MacBook Pro Logic Board Replace?

Yeah, ok.

I doubt you will be able to get a new mobo with cpu + graphics direct from OEM for 350.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd recommend getting the Applecare, for a number of reasons; namely, the price of what you may save if something goes pear-shaped, for the security of knowing that your computer is protected for the next two years, and for some good old peace of mind. Cheers.

11. rolex54 macrumors 6502

actually it is $350

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

Your laptop has a 43% chance of needing a repair within 3-4 years, and that statistic is WITHOUT the supposed defect being taken into account.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

And your source of such specific information is....?

15. m1stake macrumors 68000

Source

3/4 down the page, the first entry on the table.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for the link.
    How many subscribers? Macs or PCs? Typical quality/configuration/brand purchased? Not quite scientific or official enough to carry too much weight.
    Interesting.

17. m1stake macrumors 68000

It's an average, which is by nature not very specific. Let's say Apple has an absolutely fantastic record, and only 20% of their laptops need work in a 3-4 year period. That's still 1/5, which does not particularly good to me. $350 sounds like a good idea, as opposed to a $700 logic board or screen. I would recommend Apple Care in general, but would especially recommend it over store warranties which are often not as comprehensive or friendly (Unless you want damage protection, in which case you should really just get insurance on it for $50 a year, which also protects you from theft).

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

19. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Actually, the GPU can be swapped out of the logic board with the right equipment... this is why the replacement out of warranty is $309.95. Was told this by Apple themselves. My GPU died, if they didn't replace mine for free (I was out of warranty) it would have been $309.95.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=549830

20. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

For those of you that have used it, how good is AppleCare? I hate it when you pay for warranty and they give you the run around (go call this number, then go call that number, then go see a genius), make it inconvenient, or flat out say you didn't read the fine line...we dont cover that but we can give you a refurbished part for a discount. From my experience in the past, it's just a big money making scheme. I have no experience with AppleCare so tell me otherwise :)

Kan-O-Z

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Every time I've had occasion to call AppleCare, I get right through with no run-around. I get someone who's knowledgeable and who quickly understands the situation and gives me an understandable answer. They've been patient enough to stay on the phone during reboots or configuration, without giving me the sense that they're trying to get rid of me and move to the next person. So far, I have to say I'm impressed!

22. m1stake macrumors 68000

It's an excellent service. I've had 7 iPods replaced over the last 6 years, all under warranty, and used the call in tech support numerous times with fast, enviable results.

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

With my older 2.2 MBP I sent it in for the fan bearing issue and it was returned to me from Seattle Washington to Texas and back within 4 days (i sent it in myself).

My mag safe adapter almost sorta kinda messed up because you'd have to 'jig' it a bit to get it to charge. Brought it into the store and the guy performed "diagnostics" for a total of three seconds before he sided with me and brought a replacement , smaller adapter right out. Took about 9 minutes because of a line.

Had to get my iPhone/iPod charge/sync cable replaced. Took about 6 or so minutes.

Too easy.

24. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if it's just better for me to sell this one and just get a new one. One thing I think I will have to upgrade is the harddrive anyways. If I can sell this one for like $1200 and buy a new one for $1800 (using education discount). I will have a new one for $600 with hopefully a non-defective video and a new 1 year warranty, new harddrive and the latest and greatest stuff.

Or I can deal with the current one with a defective nVidia video....which is just waiting to break which makes me uneasy....and get AppleCare for $350.

What do you guys think?

Kan-O-Z

25. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Aren't they being built with the same card? I wouldn't sell it and buy another until it's changed. My opinion. Since i thought of that too. I'm in the same boat (mine is amost a year old) and have never bought Applecare. I'm going to buy it and what's making it easier for me is that it's covered for another 2 years. Unlike iPods which are only 1 more year.