AppleCare for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chali427, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Chali427 macrumors newbie

Chali427

Hi all, is it worth it to buy AppleCare on a MacBook Pro? I want to buy the next revision or model thats coming up. Is it worth it to buy AppleCare or just repair it by your own risk?

2. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

Ive had my MBP since August 06 and i havent had anything happen that would require repair. Ive had applecare the whole time, but you never know when something will happen.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

good investment because how annoyed would you be should something happen a month out of warranty

4. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I couldn't decide either until I found it on ebay for about 1/2 the price. For that it was worth it.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, not that it's a typically outcome, but I had my Rev. A MBP replaced a year and a half after I bought it due to numerous issues. Without AppleCare, I'd still be struggling with the old one.

On the other hand, AppleCare has done nothing for me on my 12" PB.

It's decent insurance for laptops, esp. ones with major revisions (like Rev A's). It's less useful, on average, for desktops.

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

7. noxx macrumors newbie

I'm wondering whether I should buy AppleCare, too.

I'm from Germany and in the German Apple Online Store it's 314,14€ with student discount. That would be like $532 which I think is very expensive...

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Get it because if something happens out of warranty...the price is EXTREMELY HIGH through Apple, I think a new LB is about $800. Applecare is about $200 on eBay. Do it.

9. Chali427 thread starter macrumors newbie

Chali427

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I think I will go for it, but is there a way of getting AppleCare cheaper again after the three year warranty?

10. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've owned 6 brand new desktop macs and around the same number of portables. I've never needed AppleCare - conversely, if I'd bought AppleCare for even just the laptops, I'd have wound up paying enough to buy myself another MacBook......

Extended warranties rarely make financial sense if you take the long view.

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

AppleCare only covers the first 3 years of your laptop, past that you're on your own.

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Only a good option if you plan on keeping it for more than a year. I replace mine every 9-15 months so I've not purchased AC since my original Titanium PB 5 years ago. Every couple of revs I want a new one.

Cheers,