Applecare for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nikklaus, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Nikklaus macrumors member

Two quick questions:

Do you have to buy the protection plan when you buy the MBP, or can it be anytime in the first year? (I think I've heard something to suggest the latter...)

Also, if I plan to keep the laptop for less than a year, should I buy the protection plan, or is the first year of warranty exactly the same?

Thanks

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

AppleCare just extends the original one year warranty by 2 years. If you're keeping the machine less than a year then you'd be wasting your money.

However, AppleCare does add free phone support beyond the original 90 days. So if you need that, it's something to consider, although I can't believe anyone would consider 9 months of phone support to be worth the $200-$350 you'd have to pay for AppleCare on an MBP.

3. steeler macrumors regular

If you do decide to keep it just a little over a year, having AppleCare will give you a higher resale value, generally speaking.

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

If you don't plan on keeping it beyond the year it doesn't pay for you to buy it in my opinion, but you do have the option of buying Applecare at any point within the first year of owning the new Mac.