AppleCare for my MBP v 2,2 Merom - Missing Screws | Which screw WHERE?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scottsdale, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Hey, do any of you have any experience with missing screws and taking your MacBook Pro with AppleCare to the Apple Store for a warranty issue?

Want to know if they will give me crap about it and how important it is that I replace them before going in???

SuperDrive not detected by OS X even though the power is working on it. Once disc goes in, it does not come out and cannot be played.

Why am I missing screws??? I had my MBP torn apart to checkout the problem. I set them all on paper with an outline of the MBP with exact places for each screw so the exact screw went back in the SAME spot. Well, I was gone from the room for a few minutes when my son, four years old so I couldn't get mad at him, decided to color and pushed the stuff off the table. Spent over an hour and used a magnet to try to find them but still some missing and some unidentified for exact location between two spaces....

I tried looking at the ifixit Guide but not a lot of identification between three screws I am trying to discover proper space for.

One, on the SuperDrive, I have the two back screws that attach it to the logic board area. However, the two screws towards the front of the computer are in question... Those two are SMALLER than the screws that attach the outside of the computer right??? Seem so, and I found ONE screw that is smaller not in height but in size so larger outside screws will not go into the holes. So, I have one smaller screw that doesn't grab anywhere but in that SuperDrive spot. BUT, my question is are both of the screws that attach the SuperDrive toward the front and near the front of the SuperDrive small, or is just one of them smaller??? Again, I have the two rear screws.

Second, the two screws in the battery compartment, are those two screws shorter than the screws that attach the sides and rear of the MBP? I mean really very little difference... Thing is I have two slightly shorter screws than the ones that go on the sides of the MBP. OR, do the slightly shorter screws go into the back of the MBP? I am thinking back but maybe they go into the battery compartment and as it would seem the back would use the same size as the sides (but we all know what assuming could do). I just don't remember for sure.

What I have determined.

I have the following:
    Memory door - three tiny (really short) Phillips screws.
    Inside memory door - two medium length Torx screws.
    Bottom - Four longer Phillips screws.
    Sides - Four of eight Phillips screws
    Battery compartment screws attach to front of MBP - ??? (I have two slightly smaller than left and right side screws - either for back or battery compartment)
    Back of MBP - (I have two for back or battery compartment as previously stated)

I think: Missing one optical drive screw.
    Missing two battery compartment screws.
    Missing two side screws.

So, if battery compartment screw is same size as left and right sides, I need four side type screws. If the shorter ones are for battery compartment, I need two rear screws and two side screws being the same.

Please help me determine, if battery compartment or back of computer uses slightly shorter screws than sides.

Also, please help me determine if front two optical drive screws are BOTH smaller screws and therefore the side screws will NOT physically go into those spaces.

I just want to make sure I put the right screws in the right spaces. And, want to know if Apple's Geniuses will help replace screws or tell me warranty is voided??? Would be definite reason to ensure I find the screws no matter what the hassle as this will be my first MBP AppleCare warranty issue and I want to ensure all goes smoothly.

Thank you all for any assistance you can help me with. Also, I know ALL 15.4" MBP (previous generation) have same screws. So anyone can answer that has a MBP.

Cheers. Have a nice remainder of your weekend.

2. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

nobody knows about the MBP screws? I can really use some help if anyone could tell me proper placement of screws and how picky Apple is with AppleCare.

Thanks for any/all assistance.

Cheers. Have a nice remainder of the weekend.

3. sterho1 macrumors newbie

i'm in the same boat as i have lost a few screws and am wonder where i can get them from

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

they may sell you some replacements screws, but i doubt they will fix it for you under applecare since it's obvious you have been inside of it.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

the two screws that screw inside the battery compartment (by the latch) are around the same size as the sides, maybe ever so slightly longer. i know the biggest and most visible difference is the size of the "face". Its slightly larger than the side screws. That's how i usually tell the difference. When i work on the macbook(pros) i always use a ice cube tray to keep the screws organized. I usually let those 2 screws have their own compartment because they look so similar.

the two front superdrive screws are really really small.

as far as getting service for missing screws, you may or may not--depending on who works on your computer. a paranoid tech may think you put a non-working superdrive in your computer in order to get it replaced for a friend that's out of warranty, etc.

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden