Applecare for my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EJR, Nov 20, 2009.

1. EJR macrumors member

Hey,

So I purchased my MBP a few months ago for school and have been really happy with it. Unfortunately, one day I took it out of my bag and there was a slight dent in the casing that sort of makes it wrap slightly around the side of my screen. It's purely cosmetic as determined by a tech, but it's there nonetheless. So here's the funny thing: tonight I got a call from Apple about my 3 months of coverage being up and so on and that I should buy applecare. I was sitting on the fence, mainly because I knew I didn't need it at the moment and still had 9 months to decide whether or not I needed it.

Being the jerk that I am, I related the above story to the lady on the phone (that I had taken the computer out of my bag one day and found the dent), and asked her if this dent would be covered by applecare.

And she said yes.

Basically she said that I should buy applecare and take my Macbook Pro into a Genius bar and ask them to replace the screen for me, and they would. Problem is I don't trust that she wasn't telling a tall tale, so I made sure to get a her name and kept the confirmation number. My question is this: what are the odds that they replace the casing on my MBP? I mean, I would love to have it fixed, even if it is only cosmetic...

Thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's cosmetic, I don't think that it is covered.

3. EJR thread starter macrumors member

You see, that's the thing though. I purposely explained that to the woman on the other end, and she said that they would replace it for me. I'm hoping she wasn't fibbing on me...

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if anything, the cosmetic damage from the "dent" would void your applecare...

Email the same applecare rep some pics and have her put that info in writing so you are covered down the road should it become an issue....

5. EJR thread starter macrumors member

So you mean to tell me she sold me a warranty that was already technically void before I even bought it? I have the mind to call apple and complain tonight that one of their reps would pull this >_>.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The woman told you incorrect information if she said a dent would be covered. However, the dent doesn't void the coverage, unless any covered repair is determined to be a result of damage.

7. EJR thread starter macrumors member

Here's a couple of pictures of the damage that I took with my cell phone (forgive the cruddy quality...)

As you can see, I took a very close up picture of it, but it's indented in just a bit. As I said, it's cosmetic only. The other picture is of the way the lid looks closed.

Attached Files:

8. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I don't think it will void the warranty. However, they are not going to fix that for you.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...sorry, I should have been more clear... if they determine your dent damaged anything internally they wouldn't cover that problem from the "dent damage" or the dent itself... (mainly the reason I stick to the plastic MB for a portable machine as they still cover the cracking case issues)...

10. thomas998 macrumors newbie

I had a similar dent on my MBP. I learned to live with it... and had accepted it as badge of character. Of course I later found out that if the LCD is replaced by them that they don't just replace the LCD screen they replace the lid too as I recently had them replace the LCD screen because of heat damage to the LCD from the computer itself... now I have a dent free MBP.

Now I would not tell you to purposely allow your MBP to damage itself so that you could get it all replaced... I will tell you what not to do. Do not run the computer for extended periods of time with the lid closed and the computer connected to a external display, as doing so will cause the LCD screen to suffer heat damage and require that it be replaced. This process would be greatly sped up if you run graphic and cpu intensive software that will generate more heat. So now you know what not to do so that you won't be able to have the whole lid replaced... nudge nudge wink wink.

And in the future I would suggest you get a case to cover the MBP, lord only knows why they used such thin aluminum on the lids but they dent and bend easier than anyone would expect.... maybe next time they can build them out of adamantium.