AppleCare+ for New iPad Air Costs $69, Same Price as 9.7-Inch iPad and iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Despite starting at a higher price of $499, the new 10.5-inch iPad Air released today qualifies for the same $69 tier of AppleCare+ as 9.7-inch iPad and iPad mini models. AppleCare+ for the latest iPad Pro models remains $129.

[​IMG]

AppleCare+ is an optional warranty plan that extends the iPad Air's warranty period to two years from the original purchase date of the device, and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $49 plus applicable taxes in the United States. Prices vary elsewhere.

The plan also covers accidental damage to the Apple Pencil for up to two years with a $29 fee plus tax per incident.

AppleCare+ provides 24/7 priority access to support advisors via online chat or phone for up to two years after the iPad Air's original purchase date. Without the plan, iPad Air owners are covered by Apple's limited one-year warranty and an initial 90 days of complimentary telephone support.

AppleCare+ for the new iPad Air can also be financed with monthly payments of $3.49 for up to 24 months.

Apple will charge a fee of $249 for accidental damage to the new iPad Air without AppleCare+, so as with most forms of insurance, the plan can pay for itself if ever used. AppleCare+ must be added within 60 days of purchasing a device.

Article Link: AppleCare+ for New iPad Air Costs $69, Same Price as 9.7-Inch iPad and iPad Mini

2. Pelea macrumors 6502

Terrible decision by apple. A premium device should have a much higher AppleCare price. They should definitely up the price to $173 in fairness

3. benshive macrumors regular

I had to pay more than that for AppleCare for my watch :')

4. JetTester macrumors 6502

Good deal. I'll add that to my new iPad purchase. Thanks, Apple!

5. AppleFan91 macrumors 68000

AppleFan91

Interesting moves by Apple this morning. Either lower prices or the same. That’s a foreign concept over the past 18-24 months.

Better to sell 10 things at $80 profit than 5 things at $90 profit.

6. goodcow macrumors 6502a

There should be a three year option for individuals, and not just schools and universities.

7. Sasparilla macrumors 65816

Good deal on the price - makes sense since the general iPad population is not likely to be subjected to the daily abuse that an iPhone or Watch is subjected to (outliers excepted of course).

Considering the white spot issues of the prior models (who knows if it was addressed), this is probably not a bad thing to consider getting.

8. MatthewUT44 macrumors member

Still cheaper than AC+ for the apple watch lol

9. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

10. MusicaofTrance macrumors member

MusicaofTrance

[​IMG]

11. Tivoli_ macrumors member

Apple Care is free money for Apple.
    One buys an expensive product and for fear of an additional expense we cough more money for coverage.

Why Apple does not increase the coverage from 1 to 2 or 3 years at no additional cost. Car manufacturers have come a long way in providing better deals in that regard.

I wonder how much they do collect as opposed to how much they spend on fixing things. And why Apple products break as often as other cheaper products do (I work for a business that mostly uses Apple computers)?

I rather see Apple increase the coverage for free (excluding any damages caused by reckless users) if they are confident that their products just work!

12. joueboy macrumors 68000

For all the iPads from gen. 2 that I bought never had an issue. Apple seems to design them to last forever and they’re not prone to dropping unlike my iPhones. For $69 it’s a good insurance but almost a free money for Apple.

13. PickUrPoison, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019

PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

Not really that foreign a concept.

2018 iPad kept its $329 2017 price; 2018 13” TB MacBook Pro stayed at $1,799, 15” stayed at $2,399, even though dual-cores became quads and quad-cores became hexacores; XS stayed at $999 even with many improvements; at $749 the XR split the difference between the $699 iPhone 8 and the $799 8 Plus.

I also think it’s worth including the Mac mini, whose $799 minimum config (8GB RAM/128GB SSD) was $749 for the previous model. (And yes, Apple did discontinue the low-performing 4GB RAM and HDD/Fusion drives, but most of the mini fans would have told you those $499-$699 configurations were all but useless, usually followed with “Apple should be ashamed to be selling them in 2018”.)

And $69 for AppleCare is a great deal for the Air, and mini too. Including coverage for the Pencil is a nice touch.